Extending borders

ryan.od

If I have a two column layout with varying amount of content in the right division, how do I ensure the border between the left and right division always reaches the cleared footer at the bottom?

See it here. . .

http://www.evaluationsite.com/login/login.php

Currently, the border is a left-border applied to the right column. If I switched the border to a border-right applied to the left column, it would fix the problem. However, as soon as there is enough content in the right column to push the footer down, I have the same problem again.

I know this is common issue. . .I just don't know what the answer is. Thanks.

Ryan OD

You cannot use a left border on the right column or a right border on the left column because there is varying amounts of content in each column and CSS borders only extend down to when the content ends.

As such, if you use a left border on the right column and on some page the right column is shorter than the left column, the left border will not reach the footer division. . .there will be a gap.

Thanks for pointing out the div issue. I'm developing a full CMS / blog / ecommerce solution for a company in Portland, OR and have yet to slow down to look for issues such as that. I owe you one!!

RyanOD

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.