Creating a DB for restaurant online ordering website

eldan88

I am currently creating a database for a food online ordering websites that going to be used for multiple restaurants to have their menu on.

My questions is. What will be more efficient

A) To create a one database that will store all the menu items, check out info, etc for all restaurants

B) To create a separate DB for each store

Thanks!

If this is a system for several totally independent restaurants then I'd keep the data separate. On the other hand, if this is for a chain of restaurants and at some point you will need to produce reports for the entire group then there is a good case for a single database.

But i have a question on that. My developer said that if we do separate database for each restaurant its going use a lot of system resources and slow down the server. Is that true?

• 2 weeks later...

Can you elaborate why you think this is a bad idea? Because having a separate DB for each restaurant makes it easy to scale it in the future (for example all low-volume DB's on one node) where-as one DB means you need to replicate ALL the data over multiple nodes regardless of high- or low-volume websites.

But i have a question on that. My developer said that if we do separate database for each restaurant its going use a lot of system resources and slow down the server. Is that true?

Apparently you have every confidence in the developer you hired!

What's wrong with getting a second opinion? Do you blindly trust people you hire without doing your own research? If so, I have some ocean front property for sale.

It was sarcasm! ;) But you make a good point, and sure, getting a second opinion IS a good thing IF that person is qualified, not so sure about the kind of confidence you should put in an anonymous internet user.

You also make my point:

If so, I have some ocean front property for sale.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.