Licences

I'm planing on taking the Zend Framework apart and reassembling it. I would make considerable changes to classes, including renaming them. I would leave some part of the stuctural design intact.

Now, I've read the license on ZF:

[quote=New BSD license]Copyright (c) 2006, Zend Technologies USA, Inc.
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification,
are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

[b]    * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
      this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.[/b]

* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
      this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
      and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

* Neither the name of Zend Technologies USA, Inc. nor the names of its
      contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
      software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND
ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR
ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
(INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON
ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.[/quote]

I'm a bit confused. If I rewrite praticly everything, I still have to inlcude the Zend copyright notice and disclaimer?  ???

Or am I required to include something like: "this class is based upon Zend_View_Abstract, part of Zend Framework, released under the New BSD License"?? (Just an example)

[quote author=ober link=topic=113831.msg462882#msg462882 date=1162651022]
Why would you go so low as to consider stealing other's work and passing it off as your own, no matter how much you modify it?
[/quote]

I'm not "stealing" anything. I want to use ZF as a start. Eventually the new framework will exist in own right.

Untill that time, I am trying to figure out how exactly I combine the credits for both Zend's and my own work.

I really don't consider that stealing, nor taking credit for other people's work.

Actually, I don't really care about the credits while the rewrite / restructure  is incomplete. It's not going to be doing anything until it is.

The idea behind the structure is based on the MVC, so Zend can't copyright that. The MVC classes also use a lot of other patterns, Zend can't copyright that either.

So I AM going to disect ZF, but I'll write the MVC part from scratch using most of the same patterns.

I'll write adapters for using components from ZF if ressecary. Actually, writing adapters for components of different frameworks kinda appeals to me. If only for the stuff that is nice to have but not really worth investing a lot of time in (like Zend_Pdf).

Too bad this is such a tender topic. The whole idea behind open source is to have other people build on it.

true.  like I said, if you want to give credit to zend as being the basic structure, that is good. However, if you are completely tearing it apart, and doing your own thing, to the point where no one can tell it started as zend framework, then i say make your own license. not like your going to try and sell yours or compete with zend in any way

[quote author=steelmanronald06 link=topic=113831.msg463056#msg463056 date=1162686756]
not like your going to try and sell yours or compete with zend in any way
[/quote]

If only that were true!  :P

It's just for my personal use, but it will get published, so I figured I need to get the licencing thing right.

like I said.  if there is nothing of zend in it, then it is yours.  I mean, your just using zend's framework as an example, and tearing it down to the skelton to see how yours should be arranged.  I see no problem with droping the zend copyright. I mean, apart from the file/code layout, all the actual code is yours.

Yeah, I was just confused by this:

[quote]Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, [b]with or without modification[/b],
are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:[/quote]

But I guess a rewrite goes a lot further than a modification.

Thanks for your thoughts.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.