Reversing?? an equation

Jessica

y = x*(x-1)*5;

Given $y, calculate $x.

I can get this far, it's been so long since I took a math class that I'm not even sure this makes sense.

y/5 = x*(x+1)

(y/5)/x = x+1

((y/5)/x)-1 = x

My problem is: Given $y = 60, how do I get $x = 4 (using php)

60 = x*(x-1)*5;

12 = x*(x-1);

12/x = x-1

(12/x)+1 = x

And I'm stuck. (I know $x = 4 because I made a spreadsheet plugging in 1-100 as x and then getting y, so where x = 4 y = 60)

I don't get how that gives me x?

I see on wolfram alpha the two alternate forms but neither gives you x when you know y

I want to write a calculation in PHP that if I say I have 60 for y, it can tell me x = 4. Or y=100, and it tells me x = 5. And so on. If I give it 80 it should calculate for x and then round down to 4 but I can handle that part ;)

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y+%3D+x*%28x-1%29*5+solve+for+x

Neat tool that wolfram alpha is.  I should use that more.

Seriously. I am bookmarking that site, I'd heard of it but never used it before. You guys rock.

So let's see in PHP this would be...

<?php
$y = 60;
$x = .1*((sqrt(5)*sqrt((4*$y)+5))+5);
echo $x;
?>

And it echoed 4. Perfect!!

• 4 months later...

If you don't want to be big fat cheaters, the way to do this on paper is to use the quadratic formula For this equation, it's as easy as:

y = x*(x-1)*5;

y = 5x^2 - 5x; //jesi, you messed up here by moving X back to both sides of the equation. Don't do that

0 = 5x^2 - 5x - y; //everything has to equal zero

//here, we substitute Jesi's value for Y and use the Quadratic Formula

x = (5 +/- sqrt(25 - 4 * 5 * -60)) / 10;

x = (5 +/- 35) / 10;

x = 4,3;

The parabola formed by the equation cuts the Y axis at 4 and 3. Both are valid answers, but only the larger one satisfies the original equation.

Also, I just now noticed this thread is 6 months old and newbie here bumped it, but I did all the math so you're getting the post anyway.

Edited by ManiacDan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.