Hey! I'm new to PHP so bear with me please. =)

I'm running a LAMP server on my Fedora 17 system. I am looking to modify my PHP.ini file to change the error reporting and possible the timezone settings.

I opened a terminal and ran "whereis php.ini" and the output was this......

php: /bin/php /usr/bin/php /etc/php.ini /etc/php.d /lib/php /usr/lib/php /usr/share/php /usr/share/man/man1/php.1.gz

Which on is the php.ini file I have to edit?

How will I set up the error reporting so it'll help me debug.

Thanks for any help guys!

I personally just use error_reporting & ini_set.

What I would do to figure out which one it is, create a .php file with an error, and change one of the .ini files. Run the .php file and if there's not an error, change the next .ini on the list. Repeat.

I personally just use error_reporting & ini_set.

What I would do to figure out which one it is, create a .php file with an error, and change one of the .ini files. Run the .php file and if there's not an error, change the next .ini on the list. Repeat.

There's no replacement for setting it directly in the ini.

Development should always be all on, production should always be reporting all, displaying none but logging to file.

Pikachu beat me to it.

Fedora uses modular php.ini files located in /etc/php,d/  These configuration modules are included by the primary php.ini

The main php.ini file is in /etc

When I need to make a change to any php.ini settings in fedora I try real hard to edit or create an ini module and not edit /etc/php.ini

PS - I'm using fedora 16 but I suspect the php config files are the same in fedora 17.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.