HTML5 and double quotes

mikhl

Hello. This is just a general curiosity question.

I am just wondering about peoples preferences with the use of double quotes in HTML5.

In XHTML and HTML5 the following is valid:

<div id="wrapper">

<div class="someClass">

<p class="important">Some Content Here!</p>

</div>

</div>

However I hear that in HTML5 you can also choose to leave the double quotes out:

<div id=wrapper>

<div class=someClass>

<p class=important>Some Content Here!</p>

</div>

</div>

I think it makes sense that they wouldn't be required. However, for the moment I am still using them to ensure there are no compatibility issues with any older browsers.

What do you think about this, do you think its a good idea?

What approach do you think we should be using now if we are coding HTML5 pages?

While quotes are ostensibly optional for spaceless attribute values in HTML5, quotes are not optional for XHTML, and some parsers/browsers will not like unquoted strings.  There's no reason that I can see to not just "do it right" and quote all your attributes.

Hmm. I agree, if your going to use quotes for multiple classes then you may as well keep to the convention and use them constantly. Seems like a better practice. Kind of like closing the <p> tag in my opinion is a must!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.