HELP! Is my site hacked?

nitreb

Hi,

I have this site which is running a script that I purchase, I don't know much about coding.  A couple days ago, I realized fake accounts started popping up out of nowhere, I have a feeling they're being created by bots, because the site is a 'question/answer' site, you don't need an account to ask questions, thus there's no reason any live human would go through the trouble of creating an account in the first place just to spam.  I first deleted the accounts, however they're constantly being created.  It's easy to spot the accounts since they ask questions that don't relate to the site.

My second problem is when you go to login, if you enter the wrong login, you get a page with some of my script.  Why is that happening, and how can I stop the fake accounts.

The site is http://www.adultquestion.com

Huge thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

No, I'm not advertising my site, if you look through the site, you'll see the first 15 or so questions have nothing to do with the site's topic, they're all spam.

Thanks for the suggestion, I can't try your fix at the moment, but that might take care of the problem. Also, do you have any idea as to how those accounts are being created, and how can I prevent it. Like I mentioned in my OP, it's very unlikely an individual will go through the trouble of manually creating those accounts to do something they can do without registering on the site.

I'm not ruling out that it's real people wasting their lives spamming, but it's also possible the captcha system you're using at registration has been cracked. While the letters are a little sketchy looking, they're still pretty clear. I would switch to something like reCAPTCHA and see if the problem persists.

Regarding the fake accounts, if it is a bot that is creating them you could try changing your signup page for example by changing the field name and id. Changing the location of the signup page can also be useful. Having some form of CAPTCHA is great too however most bots send the image to a person in India who provides it with the answer for a tenth of a cent or less. If it's real people... just keep doing what you're doing.

Regarding the login page, there's probably an issue with your code that has caused it to break. Did it used to work and have you changed anything? If not then I suggest you contact the scripts developer or support forum for further help.

It's likely that your site has not being hacked.

Michael

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.