Include/Connection Issue - Desperate!

mars9807

Hello!

I have a standard connection include file that I use for all my MySQL db connects.  One for each app.  It looks like this:

db_inc.php 

//(stores the db connectivity info)

$db_server="server";

$db_username="username";

$db_password="password";

$db_name="dbname";

-- end

ea_inc.php  (code to include the above)

$db_server='';

$db_username='';

$db_password='';

$db_name='';

// Hide MySQL password in non-web directory

include ("/Web/include_path/ea_inc.php");

mysql_connect ($db_server,$db_username,$db_password)

or die ("Error: Unable to connect to database");

---end

I just created a new app and corresponding include file.  For some bizarre reason, it will not connect to the db UNLESS I hard code the login, pwd, db, etc. into the variable names in the ea_inc.php file.  I have retyped, checked spellings, etc.  It is actually finding the include file because it echoes to the screen with the correct information plugged in.  Has anyone experienced anything like this?  Part of me thinks it is something really stupid, but for the life of me, I can't figure this out and have been pulling my hair out for hours.

When I run the script, this is what I get:

$db_server="server"; $db_username="username"; $db_password="password"; $db_name="dbname";

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

The script seems to find the server, user, pwd, and db name values in the include file.  Again, if I hardcode the variable content in ea_inc.php, it works fine.  Any advice is much appreciated! 

Yes, that's correct:

$db_server = "servername"; $db_username = "username"; $db_password = "password"; $db_name = "dbname"; echo "

".db_server is: " . $db_server; echo "

".db_username is: " . $db_username;

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'

You are going to think me a total idiot, but YES that was the problem!  However, none of my other db connect includes have contain that either and work just fine.  I have at least 10 others without the beginning <? or ending ?>.  As you can imagine, I'm going to update them ALL right now. 

I'm not sure that I would have figured this out due to the fact that the others worked without the <? ?>.  I needed outside eyes.

I cannot thank you enough!!!  Many, many thanks!!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.