Mac And Audio Problems...

njdubois

We have a customer using a MAC that can't hear audio files. The HTML5 page states that mp3's are playable in html5 on Safari. I'm currently waiting to hear back from him if the following works, but I'd rather not wait to hear back from him.

First off, can someone with a MAC tell if if this page is working?

http://www.marcomtechnologies.com/audiotest.php

You should hear a beatles song?

If the page doesn't work with a MAC, This is the code:

<?php
$filename='LoveMeDo.mp3';

$flash_audio_html.='
 <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" width="165" height="45" id="niftyPlayer1" align="">
 <param name="movie" value="niftyplayer.swf?file=audio_upload/' . $filename . '" />
 <param name="quality" value="high" />
 <param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" />
 <embed src="niftyplayer.swf?file=audio_upload/' . $filename . '" quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF width="165" height="45" name="niftyPlayer1" align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">
 </embed>
 </object>
';
if ($filename!=''){
 $audio_html.= '
  <audio controls="controls">
 <source src="audio_upload/' . $filename . '" type="audio/mpeg" />
 '.$flash_audio_html.'
  </audio>
 ';
}
else {
 $audio_html.='<p style="font-size:large;">No Audio Found!</p>';
}

echo $audio_html;
?>

What do I need to do to get MAC support? Please keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing about MAC's!

Thanks for your time!

Nick

Works for me, even on this old PowerMac: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; PPC Mac OS X 10_5_8) AppleWebKit/534.50.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.6 Safari/533.22.3. It doesn't auto-play; I have to click the play button, but it works nonetheless.

Edited by Pikachu2000

Thanks for getting back to me! You and one friend on facebook tested the link for me. My friend on facebook said it did not work, but didn't go into details.

Here is an update.

I have downloaded Safari for windows and everything works no problem. I am waiting to test the page in a VM on actual os x but have to wait for a copy of os x.

The customer in question is next to impossible to get a hold of. My client tells me he may be "insulted" due to ego because the way our company was recommended to him from one of his superiors. My client has called and left 2 messages and I have called and left a message. He normally responds to emails 2 days later. Which is why this reply is so late. This time he said "Test page does not work." Detailed no?

We absolutely need to insure that our product works in OS X whether we work with this customer or not. I've had no problems in FF, Chrome, IE, The Generic Android Browser and Dolphin on Android. Safari on IOS, and now Safari in windows.

I have researched this issue. The most common solution is to make sure you have type="audio/mpeg", which i do.

What are the odds this guy is just being disgruntled and having nothing to do with us? My Facebook friend did say he had problems as well?

Is there anyone else that can look at the code I attached in the first post and confirm that for some reason or another it isn't working?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks for helping me find the path to a solution!

Nick

You may have done this already, but ask the customer to go to youtube and make sure he can hear audio from the videos there, or find another site that just plays audio without flash like yours is doing and see if he can hear that.

Edit: I re-read the OP and see you ARE using flash. So, find a site that uses flash and have him test it. Also direct him to the latest version of flash.

Edited by Jessica

This may end up closing this post. We have tried it on enough other macs at this point where we are sure its his system.

We don't know about youtube or flash, he never answered the questions.

Thank you all for your help, and please let me know if you think of anything else!

Nick DuBois

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.