Secure Login Script

fresher_06

Besides minor things like not checking that the individual fields were submitted (I mean submitted, not filled in) and doing a SELECT * when all you need is their ID, name, and password,

You're giving a different error message for bad emails and bad passwords. That reveals to a malicious user that an account exists and lets them focus their efforts on finding a password. You should use the same "bad email and/or password" message in both cases.

@requinix ..

Now I am displaying same error message ""bad email and/or password" message in both cases , but i wanted to check if my script is vulnerable for sql injection or not as I have read somewhere that I should not allow negative numbers to enter.

Thanks

Now I am displaying same error message ""bad email and/or password" message in both cases , but i wanted to check if my script is vulnerable for sql injection or not as I have read somewhere that I should not allow negative numbers to enter.

1. If you are going to use the same error message (which I absolutely agree with) you can greatly simplify the script. Instead of searching for a match on email and then extracting the password to compare, just do a query to find a match on email and the hashed password. That will cut out a lot of logic in your script. However, if you wanted to implement a locking feature (say for entering the wrong password three times in a row) then you would want to do a check only on the username (email address).

2. I don't see any problem in using a negative number for either the email or password. In fact, I can't think of any scenario where using a negative number as a search value in a query would be a security concern.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.