Interesting Techniques To Get Click Through Results For Ads

Andy-H

Has anyone else noticed that Google seem to have started loading their sponsored ads a second or so after page load (in Chrome at least), in what would seem like an attempt to get people to accidentally click on them when trying to select the first organic result?

I remember a while back AOL did the exact same thing with their mail link.

Possibly.

Just noticed on your board that you attended the php conf in Manchester recently. I never knew that this was on. Was it worth it? What days did you do? Did you take anything from it?

May look at going to the next one out of curiosity. Just a shame it's on a weekend though.

Well, I was an event helper, so I got my ticket for free, but I would say it's definitely worth it.

There's a tutorial day which is on a weekday, I didn't attend that but they had some interesting talks going on, the most notable in my opinion was 'PHP core hacking' by Derick Rethans (@derickr).

The day I attended was great, there was a talk by Igor Wiedler (@igorwesome) on ReactPHP and 'Building a firehose' by Ian Barber (@IanBarber)

There was also a free lunch, and an open bar after 9pm, I learned quite a lot, but if anything, it's well worth going for the social side of things, it was great just getting the opportunity to talk to other developers, about tools and practices they use, projects they've worked on.

I also heard about Composer there, which I didn't know about previously, I haven't had the chance to use it yet as I'm mostly developing in RoR at the moment and when I do get the chance to work on a PHP project, it always seems to be CubeCart :'( But it seems like a great tool.

If you fancy a primer there's a PHPNW meetup on the first Tuesday of every month at @JoshuaBrooksMCR, I know it's probably a little far for you though.

Yeah a lot of people in Manchester seem to.

Not too far then, I think I'll be going to the next one, missed this months, which was on MySQL binary logging :(

If you're interested in PHPNW, they have a facebook page and a twitter account (@phpnw) and the PHPNW website, they also put the conference videos online about 8 weeks after it finishes, so the 2012 ones should be online within the next couple of weeks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.