Hello From An Ibm I Server/php Developer

RayTaylorII

Hi,

My company runs PHP on an IBM i Server. We run ZendServer version 5.6/PHP V5.3. We have developed a site for our wholesale customers to place orders and track the status. It has been running for 3 years. I have been looking for a good PHP forum to get advice/help from and I think this looks like a good and active forum...

Ray

Hi,

My company runs PHP on an IBM i Server. We run ZendServer version 5.6/PHP V5.3. We have developed a site for our wholesale customers to place orders and track the status. It has been running for 3 years. I have been looking for a good PHP forum to get advice/help from and I think this looks like a good and active forum...

Ray

I gotta ask, why is IBM i Server a good platform for web development? Are there any advantages or disadvantages?

And hello, have fun here :) .

I gotta ask, why is IBM i Server a good platform for web development? Are there any advantages or disadvantages?

And hello, have fun here :) .

It is rock solid....We have run our site for 3+ years and have had no "server" issues and the site has never been down. Never had to reboot to clear up errors or problems. IBM recommends only rebooting quarterly at the most because all the automatic DB optimization the OS does gets reset at reboot time (not sure why it rests??). We run Zend's Zendserver PHP stack and use their IDE, Zendstudio. PHP interfaces with DB2 and our ERP system (written in RPG) with little effort....SQL/stored procedure calls. We have no need for system or DB admin people...the OS does a ton of DB optimization under the covers. Performance is great. Scalability is as easy as adding more memory, disk, or processors. We have one of the smallest servers and it supports about 70 inhouse users plus the website and normally only uses 2-3 percent of the CPU power.

We started the project with no web development experience...PHP/HTML/CSS, etc. We used an outside consultant for some development help and mentoring. In 9 months, we deployed a full functioning B2B site that lets our wholesale customers search our database for products, manage multiple shopping carts, submit orders, and track them after being placed. I am the only inhouse web developer. I point this out to give some idea of how productive the IBM i is for web development. I would post a link the the site, but to get into it you have to be signed up as a dealer/wholesale customer.

Hope this gives some idea of why the IBM i is a great platform for both web development and ERP development.

Edited by RayTaylorII

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.