Icehd News Site

CosminStan

The first thing I noticed was the logo. I think you should scrap that and try again, to be honest. Big harsh bevels on a fairly minimal looking site don't mix well. Big harsh bevels rarely work well anywhere. Also ditch the blue to white gradient in the background, looks more like the sky than ice. The extra bits in the header (flags, conversion drop-down, search) all look really random. There doesn't seem to be much consistency in that area.

Moving down the page, things look better. You have content boxes separating different content nicely and consistently, but the content within those is pretty plain. I think you need to up the contrast a little between the background and foreground text colour, because trying to read the text makes me want to strain. Not good for a new/sports website! Also I didn't realise those DIVs were clickable until I accidentally clicked one.

Looking at the footer, I think you could loose half of that information. People don't care how the website was made, if it's compliant or if it supports every browser, so long as it supports the one they're using right at that moment. I think you need to spend a bit more time thinking what content your users will want to see, and how you can lay that all out in a page without big gaps or hundreds of content boxes.

So overall, not a bad effort, but I think there's a lot of room for improvement.

I'd suggest dropping the W3C validators since clicking them just lists tons of errors and warnings about your CSS and XHTML. The header looks sparse and I'm not sure why I need to know currency conversion in the header of a news/sports site. There are small graphical inconsistencies in the section headers. The map at the bottom and the geolocation stuff are irrelevant to a news site. It seems like you found these nifty toys you couldn't wait to play with and included them where you didn't need them just so you could use them.

Overall, the site is cleaner than a lot I've seen, but still has a lot of things that need to be done.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.