How do I do a sort within a sort

phpjayx

I have one sort working correctly....

$sql_select = "select * from data where userid='" . $param['userid'] . "' order by timestamp asc";

But if I also have a number ($param['number2']), which I also want to be included in the sort, what is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance

But why would you add a number to a sort? MySQL will interpret it as sort by the nth column (afaik, not sure if it does that if you've named another column in your order). If you're trying to do that, just use the name of the column. 

So you think someone who doesn't know to simply add the number after his existing sort, actually knows that MySQL allows you to use the column numbers and wants to sort on it?

*shrug* Barand you have more faith in people than I do I guess.

Well you are correct that I know just the basics of the capabilities of MySQL, still learning....

Basically for this sort. I have grade numbers for people, that is my (number2), then the timestamp which is a checkin time,

I was hoping to group all of the people with the same grade numbers together, but as well sort in ascending order

Then you'll need to sort it on grade number first, and timestamp second. If you follow the link I posted above, you'll see how to sort on multiple fields.

That said, I'm still not quite sure where the $param['number2'] variable comes into play here. In the best case scenario it doesn't, and you just included it in your description out of your own confusion. The worst case scenario would mean that you need to normalize your database tables, if you have multiple fields to signify the grade numbers.

So, please post a bit more detail on what that variable contains, how you currently use it, and the table structure for the table in question. Remember, use accurate examples that showcase exactly what have; The more accurate information you give us, the easier it'll be for us to help you. ;)

You're most welcome, glad I could help. :)

Also, thanks for posting the solution you reached. I'm sure others will find it useful.

PS: You might need to look up on output escaping, and input validation, for your query. Not sure where the $param array comes from, but you might be open for SQL injections there. Since you're including a user ID, I'm going to assume it's an integer value, which means that typecasting it to an int before adding it to the query should be sufficient.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.