how to properly convert oracle timestamp using only pure PHP without using oracle functions via db?

sasori

so how to convert this oracle timestamp, without using any oracle function, just pure php fucntions to manipulate this oracle timestamp? like e.g

12-JAN-13 12.00.00.000000000 AM

if i do

echo date('F d,Y',strtotime($oracleTimeStamp));

it produces

January 01,1970

and if i do

echo strtotime($oracleTimeStamp);

it produces nothing at all

what's the proper way without using any oracle function at all, just pure php to manipulate this oracle timestamp?

Edited by sasori

I don't know if this is the most efficient solution, and I have only tested it on the string you provided so don't trust it to be solid but it's a start and working for that string

$string = '12-JAN-13 12.00.00.000000000 AM';
list($date,$time,$ampm) = explode(' ', $string);
list($hour,$minute,$second) = explode('.', $time);
$second = substr($second, 0, 2);
$time = $hour . '.' . $minute . '.' . $second . '' . $ampm;
var_dump(date('F d, Y h:i:s a', strtotime($date . ' ' . $time)));

Hope this helps

Edited by oaass

Why refuse to use the proper tools to do the job?

If there isn't a very good reason[1] for this, then you really should be using the Oracle functions for this. Not only will it save you a lot of grief, but it will also be the most efficient manner to do it.

[1] Of all the reasons for why not, the only truly satisfactory one would be "I don't have/cant get access to them". From my point of view. Not that I'd consider that a very good reason, but at least it's not something you can do something about. :P

You could use DateTime::createFromFormat(), adjusting the format string as necessary for your Oracle timestamp.

$date = DateTime::createFromFormat('d-M-y h.i.s.u??? A', '12-JAN-13 12.00.00.000000000 AM');
echo $date->format('F d, Y');
// January 12, 2013

Nice. That's what I love about this. I learn something new every day :)

Edited by oaass

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.