Re draw text every second

POC0bob

Hello, Is it possible to run a piece of PHP code every second? Like what the PHP code does is run a function that does some math on a time difference, then displays it with some text:

<?php $gameStarted = gettime($dbtime);
       list($minutes, $seconds) = minutesSince($gameStarted); ?> <span class="rght">Next turn: <?php if(ceil($minutes/30) > 1){echo("I owe you " . ceil(($minutes/30)-1) . " Energy points."); }else{if($seconds >= 10){$despsec = $seconds;}else{$despsec = ("0".$seconds);} echo (ceil(30 - $minutes) . ":" . $despsec);} ?>

But I need it to run that, and re print the number every second. What is, if possible is the best way to do this, and how?

This is what I tried, but it just gives me an error on the last }

<script src="code.jquery.com/jquery-1.7.1.min.js"; type="text/javascript"> var statusIntervalId = window.setInterval(update, 1000);

function update() {
$.ajax({
url: 'updateturns.php',
dataType: 'text',
}
}
</script>

It doesn't tell me the error or anything, just says syntax error..

Edited by POC0bob

Your missing a closing parenthesis.

function update() {
    $.ajax({
        url: 'updateturns.php',
        dataType: 'text',
    });
}

Note that trying to make an ajax request to your server every second would likely destroy your server's performance.  As recommended earlier, you should just do everything in JS locally on the client end without having to contact the server.

Assuming this is related to your previous thread about updating something every 30 minutes, a fairly simple approach would be to do something along the lines of this:

http://jsfiddle.net/cKeNs/

<script type="text/javascript">
(function(){
    var secondsSince = <?php echo secondsSince(); /* Have this return # of seconds since last update */ ?>;

function update(){
        secondsSince++;

var thirtyMinutes = 60*30;
        if (secondsSince >= thirtyMinutes){
           var msg = 'Now';
           //Optionally you could kick off an ajax request to the server so it can process the fact that a new turn is available.
        } else {
           var minutesRemaining = Math.floor((thirtyMinutes-secondsSince)/60);
           var secondsRemaining = (thirtyMinutes-secondsSince)%60;
           var msg = minutesRemaining + ':' + secondsRemaining;
        }

document.getElementById('timeDisplay').innerHTML = msg;
        setTimeout(update, 1000);
    }

update();
}());
</script>

Edited by kicken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.