copying code from the windows clipboard

help_me_with_php

all,

I have a rather interesting question here. I'm wondering if there are any stumbling blocks associated with doing this...?? Anyone know? I wouldn't see how there could be unless the computer on which you were doing it was infected with something.

So for instance if I had a small PHP script in another application (say MS Word) and I used the clipboard as a medium to transfer it into my development environment, is there any risk with that do you guys think?? I don't see much but I've never asked. Thought you guys here might be interested in this one.

thanks.

Edited by help_me_with_php

There's absolutely no reason to be using Word to write your PHP scripts, you really should use an IDE. 

Which begs the question as to what you consider to be your development environment... What application are you pasting it into? Most people do their development IN the development environment such as a local host, or write the code in an IDE and FTP it to the dev server. 

Edited by Jessica

Risk of what? You are simply copying text from one application to another.

I'm not sure what risk, Psycho. It doesn't hurt to ask. Like I said before, I wouldn't see why this would ever be an issue of anykind, but I'm just in business and the thought 'leading' process. I'm not technically a developer anymore. I'll trust your judgement, although it's pretty much common sense that it wouldn't hurt anything, ever. But again, it never hurts to ask. At the very least, to get all sorts of feedback from experts like yourself. There's something to be learned from every developer. Just know that the question has a purpose even if it's not immediately obvious.

There's absolutely no reason to be using Word to write your PHP scripts, you really should use an IDE.

Jessica,

Please don't reply and question why I'm asking what I'm asking. I'd appreciate it. FYI - There *is* actually a reason why one would do something like this. And I never said I was actually using MS Word. Perhaps I'm just using that as an example. That's actually what's happening in this instance. Again, FYI. thanks.

Edited by help_me_with_php

Again, what "risk" are you asking about. You allude to their being a purpose behind the question but didn't provide any details.

I'm not technically a developer anymore

So you were a developer at one point? If so, I am really confused as to why you are even asking the question. The question would only make sense from someone who doesn't understand basic operations of a computer.

Please don't reply and question why I'm asking what I'm asking. I'd appreciate it.

If you are going to ask a question - especially one of such an odd nature - in a public forum you have to accept that people may provide responses that you weren't looking for. Besides, all too often we see people asking a question on how to perform some type of process which doesn't make sense. After we get more information we are able to identify that the person is trying to do something that is counter-productive to what they are really trying to achieve.

I'm still trying to figure out what prompted such an odd question.

Again, what "risk" are you asking about. You allude to their being a purpose behind the question but didn't provide any details.

So you were a developer at one point? If so, I am really confused as to why you are even asking the question. The question would only make sense from someone who doesn't understand basic operations of a computer.

I'm still trying to figure out what prompted such an odd question.

Thanks. I understand. I'll give you a hint here Psycho, but if you've been in the technology field for a while than you probably well know that you don't *ever* bring out all your knowledge cards. Right?

Are you a fan of Steve Jobs by chance? If you are, do you remember the presentation he gave where his feed was cut off and they couldn't get it fixed for about 2 hours? I'll never forget that, and this question's purpose is intended to steer the "lesson learned" from that into even a deeper realm of contingency. That world is even more cut-throat today than it was back then. Agree? That's about all I can tell you. I'll let you figure it out from there. It's not a big deal that developers don't understand this, but just know that I'm on the right side and I'm asking questions that are actually relevant in order to beat the scammers. Make sense? Thanks for your reply too, it helped. Fairly strait forward question anyway.

The only "risk" I can think of that you may be taking about is someone monitoring your clipboard and taking the code.  If you've got a bug on your computer doing that, you likely have bigger problems to worry about.

There's nothing wrong with copy/pasting your code around from editor to editor or whatever.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.