Just a little guidline

DwayneB

Hey guys, I'm new at PHP,mySQL and HTML. Just got out of school for them. A couple companies around me want to make a website for them using PHP and HTMl. I know I can do it, the most complicated thing they want is a login section. Even whats behind the password protected side is easy.

My question is, when you guys are doing side job is there a basic rule of thumb for charging people? How do you figure it out? Strictly time? Complication? I know I'm a rookie and all. But I don't want to over charge nor do I want under charge and end up screwing my self for future work.

If it matters I'm in the Detroit, mi area.

Thanks

Before I answer your question, I would just like to point out that user-login is actually quite a complex topic. There are a lot of security concerns regarding that, with a lot of different systems that can be attacked or exploited. Not to mention that you have to take into consideration that users tend to use the same password and username, on every single page they visit. Including their personal mail.

This thread goes a bit more deeply into that topic, and is recommended to read through.

Then, to your question.

Determining what to charge people is the same for programming as in any other freelance occupation: Determined by a range of factors.

• Your current skill level.
  • The complexity of the job.
  • How much time it will take to do the job (estimate).
  • Is the customer willing to pay per hour, or a pre-quoted sum/range?
  • How much competition is there?
  • Are the requirement well defined and complete?
  • Do you expect some unknown/lesser known factors to create problems.
  • Do you need to learn new stuff for this job exclusively? (Increases cost)
  • Do you need to spend time learning about "generic" stuff? (Decreases cost)
  • Anything else that might affect the time, knowledge, or effort required.

The basic question is: What do you value your time and skills to be worth?

Oh, and I'll give you a hint too: Everything will take longer than what you might first think. ;)

Edited by Christian F.

Ha, I have to agree with ChristianF that everything will taking longer than you expect! You also can't be certain that you won't get ill, or something happen that keeps you away from work for a few days. That's why it's always a good idea to estimate generously with time scales, to cover your own back. Plus it's a win/win situation if you do get the work done by your estimates, as it's early for the client.

Late is never good though, clients don't understand/care if you have some production issue with Apache, or something. You're not likely to get more work from them, or have them recommend you to others, if you're always missing deadlines. Even if every delay is perfectly justifiable to somehow who knows what you're on about!

I don't do freelance full time myself, but several of the jobs I've gained are from word of mouth from previous jobs, so it's a good source of work even on a part-time basis.

+1 on giving yourself a nice buffer.  Things always come up, so it looks far better for you if you can consistently deliver below your estimated time than if you go over.  Especially if you occaissionally shave some off the final price from time to time.  Freelance clients tend to be a loyal bunch (mostly because many have been screwed over by shitty developers who over-promised and under-delivered).  If you can earn their trust and prove to them that your work is worth the cost, they'll be loyal, which means future work, which means stability.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.