includes not working consistently on different servers

vampke

Hi peepz,

I am writing a script that seems to be doing what I mean it to except for one thing.

I have a file in a subdirectory (uri/includes) which I include in my php files of the parent directory (uri):

include 'firstfile.inc.php';

The firstfile.inc.php file includes another file in the same includes directory.

include 'secondfile.inc.php';

On my local windows machine this works fine. On my linux webserver not so much: in stead of including the file in 'uri/includes/secondfile.inc.php' it tries to include 'uri/secondfile.inc.php'

Could anyone be so kind to explain why this is happening (a server setting I need to be looking at?) and how to overrun this setting in the code? I am on a shared hosting account with no access to php.ini.

Cheers.

v.

Anecdotally, the rules for finding pathless files with include() has varied over time and PHP versions: sometimes it might search the directory of the parent file, sometimes it only looks at the working directory.

The best thing to do is be very explicit with your filenames by using absolute paths. For something relative to the directory of the parent file you can

include __DIR__ . '/firstfile.inc.php'; // PHP 5.3+
include dirname(__FILE__) . '/firstfile.inc.php';

and for something relative to the root of your website,

include $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/includes/firstfile.inc.php';

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.