How to have index.php load different content

pintee

Hi everyone,

I would like to have my website display different content while remaining on the same index.php page. The functionality I am after is demonstrated bywww.sryth.com. If you sign up for an account, login, and start a new game, you will see what I mean. The address stays the same throughout the game(i.e.www.sryth.com/game/index.php), even as new content is being displayed. How do I achieve this effect??

I have been searching all morning for the solution to this problem but have come up with nothing. Answers given in forums have all lead to dead ends, so I'm hoping someone can come up with a definitive solution.

Either use a frame/iframe tag or do URLRewrite.

An example for an iframe and a frame tag (my school uses the frame tag on their home page, by the way):

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<title>
Site Title
</title>
</head>
<body>
<iframe src="index.php" name="Index"></iframe>
<!-- or use this
<frame name="Main Site" src="index.php?rewrite=main%20site"></frameset>
-->
</body>
</html>
You can in fact do this with embed and object tags, too.

I wouldn't use the URLRewrite option unless you are not familiar with HTML (which is unlikely because HTML is much easier than URL Rewriting), though.

Backbone.js can do this. It basically keeps the user from loading new pages but rather refreshes parts of the page using AJAX.

But even with normal JS you can go a long way. Dont use iframes.

I've been experimenting with this www.sryth.com site in order to glean how it might be implemented.

* Firstly I login and start off from www.sryth.com/game/index.php.     (this has content on it like text and links)

* Secondly, I open a link on the page in a new window. This brings up the address http://www.sryth.com/game/ci.php?f_c=set_pc_location2.inc&f_zoneid=4&f_sectionid=10561&f_previouszoneid=4&f_previoussectionid=1

for a split second before redirecting to the address http://www.sryth.com/game/ci.php?f_c=parser2.inc          (this page also has content on it like text and links).

Any guesses as to the implementation from what I have just described? Forgive my curiosity.......

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.