Warning: mysql_result() error help please

Samza
Go to solution Solved by Barand,

Hi,

I am having a problem with fixing this mysql error;

Warning: mysql_result() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/magics/public_html/newagedclothing/content/checkout.php on line 8

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'as items FROM shopping_cart WHERE cart_identifier=b221125f5badb81dd17ea21e384533' at line 1

This is the line 8 it is refering to;

$num_items = mysql_result(mysql_query("SELECT COUNT * as items FROM shopping_cart WHERE cart_identifier=". mysql_escape_string($cart_id) .""),0);

and this is what it looks like when I echo it out;

mysql_result(mysql_query("SELECT COUNT * as items FROM shopping_cart WHERE cart_identifier=b221125f5badb81dd17ea21e38453328"),0)

I can seem to see the problem but hopefuly someone here can see through this.

Thanks!

You need to surround cart_identifier with single quotes ('). It's a CHAR i guess?

$num_items = mysql_result(mysql_query("SELECT COUNT * as items FROM shopping_cart WHERE cart_identifier = '".mysql_escape_string($cart_id) .'"),0);

try this

$num_items = mysql_result(mysql_query("SELECT COUNT * as items FROM shopping_cart WHERE cart_identifier = . mysql_escape_string($cart_id) .''"),0);

jason_ph, please explain the point of posting a solution(?) with exactly the same errors that were already in the original and also adding a couple of extra errors?

Thanks for your help guys, I tried count (*) but it was the space between count and (*) that was the main problem! sorted now :)

However this is an error im having on this line

mysql_result(mysql_query("SELECT SUM(product_qty * product_price) AS subtotal WHERE cart_identifier='". mysql_escape_string($cart_id) ."'"), 0);

error message

Warning: mysql_result() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /checkout.php on line 64

Don't nest mysql functions. It looks as though there is an error but you cannot check for them because of the nesting.

$sql = "SELECT SUM(product_qty * product_price) AS subtotal WHERE cart_identifier='". mysql_escape_string($cart_id) ."'";
$result = mysql_query($sql);
if (!$result) die (mysql_error() . "<pre>$sql</pre>");
$subtotal = mysql_result($result, 0);

You can refer to this. It is telling you that your first parameter in incorrect, so your mysql_query. The page I linked to also states that this is the slowest out of all of the functions you could use to fetch information from a database. 

Something I am not 100% sure about, but I would not practice, maybe one of the gurus can explain it, but I do not think it is best practices to put concatenation into a query. Turn your mysql_real_escape_string(cart_id) into a variable. I am not sure if that is a smart decision, but that is what I would do and have done in the past.

Also, something I just noticed. Can you mysql_real_escape_string and id number. If it is an integer why  are you trying to escape it?? 

• Solution

I confess I am not a great fan of concatenation. It takes me back to my VB days when it was the only way and resulted in horrendous multiple quote marks.

I prefer to use this so the syntax and quotes are more easily readable

$id = mysql_real_escape_string($cart_id) ;
$sql = "SELECT SUM(product_qty * product_price) AS subtotal WHERE cart_identifier = '$id' ";

or, if the id is numeric and not a string

$id = intval($cart_id) ;
$sql = "SELECT SUM(product_qty * product_price) AS subtotal WHERE cart_identifier = $id ";

or

$sql = sprintf ("SELECT SUM(product_qty * product_price) AS subtotal WHERE cart_identifier = '%s' ", mysql_real_escape_string($cat_id) );

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.