if !isset one of the $_GET variables

Slam

Hi,

I have a problem with multiple variables in url when I try to echo out content based on variable from url.

First things first.

When I have url like www.example.com/user.php?username=joe (assuming that joe exists in DB) I do:

if (!isset($_GET['username']) || empty($_GET['username']) || ($username_exists === false)){
header('Location: /');
exit();
}
// echo content related to $_GET['username']

and it's working fine, but if I have url like www.example.com/user.php?username=joe&section=bio I tried 

if (!isset($_GET['username']) || empty($_GET['username']) || ($username_exists === false)){
exit();
}

if (!isset($_GET['section']) || empty($_GET['section']) || ($_GET['section'] !== 'bio')){
exit();
}
// echo some content related to $_GET['section']

and result of that code is (when the url is):

www.example.com/user.php?username=joe&section=bio

// true, echos out $_GET['username'] and $_GET['section']

www.example.com/user.php?username=joe&section=otherbio

// true, redirect

www.example.com/user.php?username=joe&section=

// true, redirect

www.example.com/user.php?username=joe&madeupsection

// true, redirect

www.example.com/user.php?username=joe&

// true, redirect

www.example.com/user.php?username=joe

// I thought that this wil echo out only content related to $_GET['username'], but I get redirect, and that redirect comes from $_GET['section']

Even though username is correct I get redirect because $_GET['section'] is not set, am I right?

So how can I echo out content related to $_GET['username'] when $_GET['section'] is not set or empty or !==bio ??

You cannot show content and redirect at the same time. You have to decide what to do: do you show the user information or do you redirect?

Sounds like what you want to do is show the user information. If so then the "bio" thing has nothing to do with redirecting because if it's present you show user+bio information and if it isn't you show only the user information.

In other words, don't redirect.

What you're saying is correct, you're getting a redirect because 'section' isn't set, which is therefore satisfying the first condition of the second if statement.

The only way to be able to echo out content related to username even if section isn't set or what it should be is to remove the checking of section..

So instead of redirect when section isn't set I should echo nothing?? like so:

exit();
}

if (!isset($_GET['section']) || empty($_GET['section']) || ($_GET['section'] !== 'bio')){
echo '';
}
// echo some content related to $_GET['section']

It works like this, but now user can type whatever he wants after this url www.example.com/user.php?username=joe&

But is it safe??

But if the section thing is missing your code will continue onward and try to show the section stuff.

Rather than test if the section is missing, how about checking if it's present? If it is then show the section stuff, otherwise don't.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.