MYSQL Selecting a rand value from the max value in a column?

Monkuar
Go to solution Solved by Monkuar,

I have a row in items_equip table:

short sword | 3 | 10

3 is min_dmg

10 is max_dmg

Let's a say a person kills a mob (to get exp), I need mysql to select a random row in my items_equip table and insert it into items_user_equip.  But while doing the insertion function i need MYSQL to randomize the values of min_dmg and max_dmg no higher than 3, 10 respectively.  

So, maybe it could do 2 | 7   or something (2min, 7max)

possible?

3 | 10 are fixed values in the row column already....

Edited by Monkuar

• Solution
$getequip = $db->query("SELECT max(min_dmg) as min,max(max_dmg) as max from items_equip where name = 'Sword' ");

while($equipdata = $db->fetch_assoc($getequip)){
$mindamage = rand(1, $equipdata['min']);

$maxdamage = rand(1, $equipdata['max']);
}
echo ' Min Dmg Possibilites: '.$mindamage.' || MAX Damage: '.$maxdamage.'';

I think this works right? If so I marked as solved for now ty

Edited by Monkuar

Based on your description of the problem, it sounds like your query should only be returning one row which means there is no need for the MIN/MAX functions. If it does in fact return several rows though, you would need them.

You can do the random bit inside the query using mysql's RAND function. For instance:

SELECT FLOOR(1+(RAND()*min_dmg)) as min_dmg, FLOOR(1+(RAND()*max_dmg)) as max_dmg
That would give you a random number such that 1 <= x <= min_dmg (likewise for max_dmg).

Note that for both of this solution and your solution, it is possible for you to get a max_dmg number that is lower than (or equal to) your min_dmg number. Ie, you might end up with min_dmg=3 max_dmg=1

If you want to ensure that max_dmg is larger than min_dmg, you need to make min_dmg the lower bound when finding a random max_dmg. For instance:

SELECT FLOOR(1+(RAND()*min_dmg)) as min_dmg, FLOOR(min_dmg+(RAND()*(max_dmg-(min_dmg-1)))) as max_dmg
That would still leave the possibility of min_dmg = max_dmg but you can adjust for that also if you want to prevent it. Edited by kicken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.