Provide multiple mirrors if a file doesn't exist

PinguLaughter

I want a Mirror script which determines whether or not a certain file is accessible or not. If the mirror1 is accessible, it will present the link to mirror 1. If mirror 1 is not accessible, it will present the link to mirror 2.

This so far is perfect, however I would like more mirrors. For example, if mirror 2 is unavailable, mirror 3 will be presented. If mirror 3 is unavailable, mirror 4 will be presented and so on. I'm just not quite sure exactly how I could make this work. Has anyone got any suggestions that would be highly appreciated. I've tried quite a lot of things already!

$mirror1 = "download1.exe";
$mirror2 = "download2.exe";
$header_response = get_headers($mirror1, 1);
if ( strpos( $header_response[0], "404" ) !== false )
{
echo '
<a href="', $mirror1, '">Download Mirror 1</a>
';
}
else
{
echo '
<a href="', $mirror2, '">Download Mirror 2</a>
';
}

It'd be best to have a separate background script update a local DB with the status of the files on the various mirrors. Then just list any mirrors that have the file as of the last check. Doing a check of each mirror on each page load will slow down the loading of the page, especially if there are issues (such as the mirror being down).

Lastly, present all the mirrors that do appear to have the file, rather than just the first one. Just because a mirror is accessible to you doesn't mean it is accessible to your end user. If it doesn't work for them they need to be able to choose a different mirror. Only listing the first mirror sort of defeats the purpose of mirroring anyway, unless your doing some randomization/geo-locating of the mirrors.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.