how to limit the result using PHP , without using LIMIT clause when fetching rows in database query?

sasori
Go to solution Solved by sasori,

let's say i have a an object...it contains 100 objects/array..and then in it's sql query, I didn't use offset nor limit.

my question now is, is there are way to manipulate the returned result using only PHP to display only like e.g 24 objects/array ?

my objective is, I wanna paginate based on 24 result and not with 100 ..so how?

You'll want to run a query like:

$count_result=$mysqli->query("SELECT count(*) FROM tbl_name");

which will return the total row count (ie 100) then you can divide that by the number of results per page.  Once you have that you can run additional queries using:

SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS * FROM tbl_name LIMIT $start, $perpage

where the starting record is the next record after the last query (say 20 per page). First time through $start = 0 and $perpage = 20. The next time through, $start = 21, $perpage = 20. 

Sorry left out a critical part, $count_result is used to define $perpage.  So in the 100/20 example, you would generate 5 pages with 20 results each.

Edited by rwhite35

• Solution

you can paginate an array using array_slice(). the second and 3rd parameters, offset and length, operate the same as the LIMIT operands do in a query.

same suggestion as other developers to whom I have asked from...

but anyway...I have solved my issue on my own by just adding a simple if statement

$container = array();
foreach($hugeObject as $k => $obj){
    if(isset($obj[$obj->USERID])){
       continue;
     if(count($container) < 24)
     $container[$obj->USERID] = $obj;
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.