Read filename with date in php

PriteshP23
Go to solution Solved by PriteshP23,

Hello,

I have csv filename with date. Everyday i have same csv file with respective date. I need to read filename (everyday date changes in filename) and do operation.

For example, I have file "cells_20140106_165532.csv". I did like this to read it in general:

$filename = "cells_".date('Ymd_hmi').".csv";
$file_contents = file_get_contents($filename);
$importcsvsql = "";

It is taking current date instead of filename's date. It is generating empty file "cells_20140114_110109.csv"

Thanks in advanced.

Unless you have a filename that matches the exact date and time that you are requesting the file, then you won't find a matching file within your directory

Calling date('Ymd_hmi') will always produce the current time and date in the format yyyymmdd-hhmmss

Edited by paddyfields

Calling date('Ymd_hmi') will always produce the current time and date in the format yyyymmdd-hhmmss

Yes, you are right. This is the question. How to make it general so that it take the value which is in filename?

There are no more files. So, no need to find latest date or deleting other files like that.

Thanks in advanced for your input.

I'm not really getting your problem here, if you know the title of the required file, then just enter it into the $filename string

$filename = "cells_20140106_165532.csv";
$file_contents = file_get_contents($filename);
$importcsvsql = "";

But I'm guessing that I'm not understanding the point you're trying to get across

If you already have the filename and want to get the date/time value from it you could do

$filename = "cells_20140106_165532.csv";
list(, $date, $time) = explode('_', substr($filename, 0, -4));

$date = substr($date, 0, 4) . '/'  . substr($date, 4, 2) . '/'  . substr($date, 6, 2);
$time = substr($time, 0, 2) . ':'  . substr($time, 2, 2) . ':'  . substr($time, 4, 2);

echo "The file was create on $date at $time";
Edited by Ch0cu3r

If you already have the filename and want to get the date/time value from it you could do

Good try. I like it. But there is error:

Wrong parameter count for explode()

It is not expected as solution because everyday it will change the filename. In addition, i have to read filename with date and later display the time from it.

Good try. I like it. But there is error:

Wrong parameter count for explode()

you may have tried the original code which had an error. Try my example again it does get the date and time from $filename.

i have to read filename with date and later display the time from it.

The following code will read any file that starts with cells_ and ends in a csv file extension grabbing the date & time from the filename

foreach (glob("cells_*.csv") as $filename)
{
    list(, $date, $time) = explode('_', substr($filename, 0, -4));

$date = substr($date, 0, 4) . '/'  . substr($date, 4, 2) . '/'  . substr($date, 6, 2);
    $time = substr($time, 0, 2) . ':'  . substr($time, 2, 2) . ':'  . substr($time, 4, 2);

echo "The datetime for $filename is $date at $time<br />";
}
Edited by Ch0cu3r

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.