Admin control panel

slj90

Hello,

I don't need help with any coding at this stage, however, I am interested to know the most secure way to have an Admin page on my website. There will only ever be one admin account. Is the best way to have 'user_level' in the member database? Should the login script take into account the admin user or should I have a separate login page just for the admin? I would be interested to know what method commercial websites with thousands of users use?

Thanks,

IMHO if you have a secure login page (with all that the word 'secure' entails) already working, then adding another column to the table behind the login is the way to go.  It gives you the freedom to use it for new features that may be added later as well as the ability to add that 'extra' admin person without having to do any coding.  Simply checking the user's login data for the correct 'security level' obtained as part of the login process gives you the ability to control access to any part of your appl.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.