good (other) books

Jocka

We have the good PHP books but PHP isn't all we need to know to become as great as we can be.

I for one want to being studying more into Linux, as I don't use it very much right now. The best way to learn (for me at least) is hands on so I got some linux software from offline. I haven't installed it yet though, I'm going to go buy an external harddrive for now (so I don't have to jump right on it).

Anyway, I need a good book to learn linux with. I want to learn all the basics of linux and more advanced things that can be done by linux. Right now the basics will be fine. So a book for basic linux and a book for advanced linux.

Also I'm planning to study ASP.net . I understand that vb.net can't be put on a linux machine? Either way my boss asks that I learn ASP. He wants to send me to some classes but I think it'd be better to buy a $50 book and let me learn myself than pay $600 to send me to a 3 day class where I'll forget everything the 5th day. I want to know basically everything I can about ASP.net . Of course let's start with the basics and move on from there.

And any other books you might recommend? If a programming language is up and coming like PHP then please recommend it.

ASP.net - LINUX

I, personally, think that reading a book is a highly inefficient way to go about learning an operating system, especially any Unix or Unix-based system. I learned TONS about Linux in general just by the Gentoo installation process, and once you're done installing it, you keep learning.

I suggest, for anybody interested in learning about Linux, that you just download the distribution of choice, install it, and start asking questions. Google knows a lot, forums know a lot (search first!), and IRC channels know a lot. Never overlook the man pages, either.

<quote>Never overlook the man pages, either. </quote>
Indeed.

man topicyouwanttolookup

If your getting into Linux - you would be best to pick a linux distro - because some subtle things change. I choose debian - because there is a ton of info out there on it, great books and simple package management.

If you use debian, here is all you need for a fully fledged apache2 php and mysql server:
<code>apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client apache2 libapache2-mod-php4 php4-cli php4-common php4-cgi php4-mysql</code>

And if you want php5 - simply change the above to php5-common etc.

Also - I kept writing a wiki with all the stuff I learned. My linux wiki is:
http://wiki.kartbuilding.net

If you dont want to do much reinstalling - get a knoppix live CD. Its based on....guess what.... debian! Ubuntu is also based on debian. Therefore the package mangement (apt) is the same across all.

Also - with regards to asp - chillisoft asp ran asp scripts on apache. This was a good few years ago however, and I dont know the current status and/or if it runs asp.net.

Have fun.

-steve

the linux I have us Unbuntu. I ordered it from their site. I just haven't installed it or anything. Like I said, I'm going to get an external harddrive so I don't go in head first.

I learned almost everything from hands on but I still need to know commands to get things done. I've been studying some stuff online but haven't put it to use yet.

Give me a break down from 1-10 of how difficult things are from the following (1 - impossible -- 10 - a baby could do it):

Downloading /installing drivers for basic stuff (video card, modem *although I don't use it*, ethernet, etc)
Download / installing drivers for new products (example, I bought a USB wireless adaptor I need installed on it)
Getting programs like photoshop (as I understand, photoshop doesn't work on linux ?)
Running a server

And feel free to add additional things you think I should know too.

ok I don't know if I want to study ASP anymore. Other than the fact that it's something else I can toss on my "skills" list, I don't know what good it'll do me.

Can anyone give me a reason to learn ASP aside from "just to learn it". It doesn't seem to do anything that PHP can't do.. or am I wrong?

[quote]Downloading /installing drivers for basic stuff (video card, modem *although I don't use it*, ethernet, etc)[/quote]
Depends on how new the hardware is. Also depends on if you want *ALL* of the same functionality, e.g. extra buttons on your keyboard etc. etc. But Id give this a 7 or 8.

[quote]Download / installing drivers for new products (example, I bought a USB wireless adaptor I need installed on it)[/quote]
If they have it as a gziped file, with a readme - 6 or 7.

[quote]Getting programs like photoshop (as I understand, photoshop doesn't work on linux ?)[/quote]
No - photoshop doesnt really work on linux. But where there is a will.....there is a way. Id give this a 3 - cause it will take a good bit of time to get these apps running.

[quote]Running a server[/quote]
Id give this a 8 or 9.
Of course - it depends on how stable, secure etc. what services you want on it etc etc etc.
Generally linux is built for servers - so unlike installing photoshop simialr apps - if you want apache2 on ubuntu (built on debian) either select it at the installer or:
apt-get install apache2

As for what know etc. etc. - and waiting for a magical "external hardrive" - dont wait for that - get vmware, install it on your pc. Pop a ubuntu cd into the drive, start the vmware virtual pc - and there you go - a full blown linux os where you can install away.

-steve

nice.

Right now my only worries is the usb adaptor. It's my only way to get online besides dial up and I HATE dialup. I'll look into that though. As far as I recall the usb came with a self install tool but I'll got to their website and see if it is supported by linux as well. See if I can find a way to install it.

If I can't find a way to install it (or anything else for that matter) do you recommend any good sites I can browse to find drivers for it?

[quote] usb adaptor[/quote]
LOL - usb adaptor yokie! Well I think you will be doing *very* well to get a linux driver for that.

HOWEVER - if I think correct - if you use vmware - it will create a "virtual LAN adapter" for linux to use - and vmware will route all your linux traffic over your usb yokie on windows.

Thats what Id go at. vmware is now free and 10-20megs - so that'd be my solution.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.