autosave

bert56
Go to solution Solved by ginerjm,

Are you asking "how to do a file download"?  Are you suggesting that your script automatically download a file onto a user's hard drive?  Seems like a script I wouldn't want to be running on my machine if it is going to be putting things on my drive.

Why not simply make the form shorter and let them take a break between multiple input pages?  Then you can simply use one script to collect all the data (in batches) and store it in a table or session array and post it when the process is complete.

I try to understand the information. 

1 I think when I store the data in a table it will take more time than when I store it in a session array. 

2 When there is no electricity for a moment the data in the table will be saved, but the data in the session array will be gone. 

3 An autosave is quicker, I think, but not possible in PHP, only in Ajax or JavaScript. But when we have problems with electricity, the data will be saved.   The problem is that it is very difficult to handle.

Did I understand the three points correctly?

So I can better break the form in four input pages and post it in different tables. But when there is a problem with electricity the pupils have to make one input page again? That does not make them happy, but it will be.

• Solution

Are you that worried about electricity outages where you are?  Data saved in the session or in the db will be saved since both are at the server, not at your clients.  And yes - if the data is saved in either you can re-build the input for the users from either the session or the db.  From what you are saying this form is so long it takes the users too much time to complete and you must be worried that the clients will 'time out' and lose everything they are working on .  To me that indicates that I need to build my pages differently.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.