Strange table entry in varchar field

otuatail

Hi. I have a field in a table `Comment` varchar(32).

I enter the following text Food value £12.52, but when I back up the table and look at it in a text editor I get the following.

Food value £12.52 I have a character ascii value 0194 before the pound sign. Can I correct this?

I forgot to say that I don't see this character when I am looking at the web page.

Edited by otuatail

Your character encoding settings are not consistent. Make sure that

- Your HTML pages are using UTF-8 because they do not by default; use a and/or configure your server and PHP code to return the UTF-8 encoding

- Your database has utf8 as the default encoding; a SHOW CREATE DATABASE will the encoding

- Your table is using the utf8 encoding; a SHOW CREATE TABLE will show the encoding

- Your table columns are using the utf8 encoding; if your table is but your columns are not then a SHOW CREATE TABLE will show it

- Your database connection is using the utf8 encoding; for MySQL you have to pay attention to both the server and client settings

Missing any one of those can cause the problem you're seeing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.