SMF Switch - Subscription Problem

DrDre

I am curious why PHPFreaks switched from the top of the line forum software IPB to SMF :x?

SMF is really bugging me now, as I had a forum subscribed too and was wondering why I was no longer getting email alerts for the forum and noticed it wont send you any more emails after its sent you one until you visit the forum and read them...

This bugs me because alot of times I see a topic title and I know its not interesting to me, and then another email comes with an interesting topic Id read it, well now Im not getting that 2nd email due to SMF's little difference over IPB :(

Can that little thing be disabled for subscriptions? its really annoying :(

No offense, but you have no idea what you're talking about.  IPB is a security nightmare and awful in terms of usability when compared to SMF (both for the regular user and the admin).

And I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.  I have a subscription to the AJAX board and it emails me everytime there is a new thread.

Such hostility heh..

Thats all personal preference I guess, As a forum admin I find IPB to be the top and all the security holes get fixed as found.

As for the emails, maybe its because your an admin its not restricting you, but if you read my post again you'll understand what I mean.

I wasn't being hostile.  Just explaining the situation.  If you really think IPB is that great, PM phpfreak and ask him why we switched.  The site was being taken down or hacked every other week.

And have you ever been an admin of a SMF board?  It's much cleaner and it keeps everything in a better flow.  I just don't even think the two compare.  And don't even get me into the idea of modding.

By the way, I modified your notifications in your profile.  See if that helps.  (You might just consider checking out that section of your profile as well).

it goes a little like this. so does the Mac vs PC, PHP vs ASP arguments:

Would anyone admit that their kids are really ugly compared to someone elses?
Nah didnt think so. If IPB is your "kid", its beautiful. Don't mean that other peoples kids arent better looking - just you either wont admit it or cant see it. Nothing wrong with that.

But on the subject - as I am neither the owner or an administrator (hence not the daddy), I can prob give a less biased opinion -  the fact that SMF is open source and beyond a stable version gives it one hell of an advantage over IPB/vBulletin. Problems are fixed ever day and (if necessary) released every day.
Commercial software on the other hand - you have to kinda scratch your arse a bit waiting ages for something to be done. Oh, and you paid for it too.

SMF has its faults, just like any other piece of software. But it's alot more open and friendly to the 'general' public (ie, not just forum experts or geeks) and as this community is generally about learning new things, I think it's ideal.

And also a kinda off tangent reason. Linux + Apache + Mysql + PHP = most people's setup for their webserver around these parts. All open source. All at the top of their respective categories. All heavily community driven. What better than an open source, PHP-based, community supported forum for a PHP-based community?

There's my 0.00000000000020000000167p anyway.

[quote author=Ben Phelps link=topic=118139.msg489012#msg489012 date=1166634533]
I am currently switching from IPB to SMF, IPB has no spam protection.  Even after captcha and email verification where on it didn't help, I still got about 15 spam posts a day.
[/quote]
You never considered that the Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart (CAPTHA), will not work on human spammers?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.