Passing multi-dimensional array to curl

NotionCommotion

The second curl_setopt_array() results in an error.  Why?  Where is it documented?  Thanks

<?php

$options=[CURLOPT_POST=>1, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS=>['data'=>123]];
$ch      = curl_init();
curl_setopt_array( $ch, $options );

$options=[CURLOPT_POST=>1, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS=>['data'=>[123]]];
$ch      = curl_init();

$options=[CURLOPT_POST=>1, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS=>['data'=>http_build_query([123])]];
$ch      = curl_init();
Notice: Array to string conversion in /var/www/public/CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS.php on line 9
http://php.net/manual/en/function.curl-setopt.php
CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS The full data to post in a HTTP "POST" operation. To post a file, prepend a filename with @ and use the full path. The filetype can be explicitly specified by following the filename with the type in the format ';type=mimetype'. This parameter can either be passed as a urlencoded string like 'para1=val1&para2=val2&...' or as an array with the field name as key and field data as value. If value is an array, theContent-Type header will be set to multipart/form-data. As of PHP 5.2.0, valuemust be an array if files are passed to this option with the @ prefix. As of PHP 5.5.0, the @ prefix is deprecated and files can be sent using CURLFile. The @ prefix can be disabled for safe passing of values beginning with @ by setting theCURLOPT_SAFE_UPLOAD option to TRUE.

Passing an array to CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS will encode the data as multipart/form-data, while passing a URL-encoded string will encode the data as application/x-www-form-urlencoded.

There's no such thing as an URL parameter array or even multidimensional array. URL parameters are simple key-value pairs. Anything build on top of that (like the param[] syntax in PHP) is nonstandard and must be assembled manually for the target application.

Okay, so I can only pass simple key-value pairs.

And when I pass it ['param1'=>'value1, 'param2'=>'value2'], is PHP behind the scenes converting it to --data "param1=value1&param2=value2"

But when I try to pass it ['param1'=>['someArray'] ], PHP convert ['someArray'] to a string resulting in the Array to string conversion notice?

Is this just common knowledge or is it documented?  I guess the following kind of describes it:  or as an array with the field name as key and field data as value

Here's what cURL (the PHP side of it) does with CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS:

if (is_array($value) || is_object($value)) {
	$postfields = (is_array($value) ? $value : get_object_vars($value));
	foreach ($postfields as $key => $current) {
		$key = (string)$key;
		if (is_object($current) && $current instanceof CURLFile) {
			// stuff...
		}

$postval = (string)$current;
		// <libcurl function to append $key=$postval to a request>
	}
	// <libcurl function to set request>
} else {
	$str = (string)$value;
	// <libcurl function to set post data to $str>
}
Note

$postval = (string)$current;
to convert the array item to a string, which causes the error you were getting.

Personally, I always set the POSTFIELDS using a string - turning an array into a string is just one http_build_query() call away.

Thanks requinix,

I tend to agree with you that I should always set POSTFIELDS with a string, and will start doing so in the future.

The PHP script you displayed doesn't really exist, does it?  Would this functionality actually be located at https://github.com/php/php-src/tree/master/ext/curl?  I looked, but as I don't know C, couldn't find it.

Archived