Namespace when using type declaration (aka type hinting)

Why does the first example work, but not the second example.  Thank you

namespace Testing\Server;
//...
        $socket = new \React\Socket\Server($this->host['url'].':'.$this->host['port'], $loop);
        $socket->on('connection', function (\React\Socket\ConnectionInterface $stream) {
namespace Testing\Server;
//...
        $socket = new \React\Socket\Server($this->host['url'].':'.$this->host['port'], $loop);
        $socket->on('connection', function (ConnectionInterface $stream) {

Also, if I wasn't using namespace Testing\Server in this script, would things change?

Plain, unqualified identifiers are resolved relative to the current namespace, so ConnectionInterface means Testing\Server\ConnectionInterface. Which is obviously not what you mean. You want \React\Socket\ConnectionInterface.

I'm not even sure what exactly you expected. How is PHP supposed to figure out that ConnectionInterface belongs to some other namespace?

I agree with you that it obviously was not what I want and there is no way PHP can figure out what I want without me telling it.   The example I took it from was from https://github.com/reactphp/socket#quickstart-example.   My confusion is that the current namespace in this example is presumably  \, yet they hint with only ConnectionInterface which would be \ConnectionInterface, not \React\Socket\ConnectionInterface.  What am I missing?

$loop = React\EventLoop\Factory::create();
$socket = new React\Socket\Server('127.0.0.1:8080', $loop);

$socket->on('connection', function (ConnectionInterface $conn) {
    $conn->write("Hello " . $conn->getRemoteAddress() . "!\n");
    $conn->write("Welcome to this amazing server!\n");
    $conn->write("Here's a tip: don't say anything.\n");

$conn->on('data', function ($data) use ($conn) {
        $conn->close();
    });
});

$loop->run();

You're interpreting too much into this example code. Chances are it was never actually tested, or they've copied and pasted it from a different context (read: there were in a different namespace without explicitly mentioning it).

It doesn't matter. The rules are the rules.

Archived