Scan from PHP Application

maanikmca

Scanning a document through a php application?

I assume that you meant to say - 'use a php application to process scanned documents'.  Yes?

Ok - so now that we understand what you want to do, how about you explain to us what you are having difficulty with understanding?  Or - what is it you really want help with?

Please define your use of the word 'scan'.  When you used it here I saw you running a document of some type thru a sacnning device to produce a digital document.  That is how I use the word scan.  So my assumption was that you then wanted to use PHP to 'process' this already-scanned document.

What is a 'marksheet'?  The sheet that a student marks up with their answers? So the student answers the test and you want to take their sheet and scan it back to them using email perhaps?  Wouldn't a copier work just as well?

#1  You want to do as I thought - scan a document and get it to your server.  Not sure what you mean by "using our application" though.  The 'scan' will not use PHP and as for getting it to the server any kind of upload process would suffice so your application could put up a form with a file input element to grab the scanned document and any other attributes that you want to keep with it.    Is that how you see it?

#2  You should not be placing scanned documents (or any other type of document) in your database.  There is no reason to do this and it just adds to resource usage by having to store and retrieve something that can already exist on its own anyway.  Normally one creates a table record to contain attributes about something and if there is a document related to it one includes a field that points to it.  In your case your upload form would include a docname field that your php code would then assign to the uploaded file once the upload process is complete.  You might have to decide on whether you need multiple folders for your documents or not.  If so that would have to be part of your 'upload and store' process but in any case you would need to ensure that your process doesn't create duplicate docnames.  (you could handle this by adding a suffix to make it unique and then save THAT name in your database record. 

PHP can do a lot, but your problem description is so vague that it's simply impossible to help you.

Your first job is to find out how exactly the PC communicates with the scanner. There's TWAIN, there's SANE for Linux, there are plenty of proprietary tools. Find out which one is available, then we can talk about using it in PHP.

So you are probably looking for a PC application that can control the scan operation so that you can place a document on the glass and have it scanned and saved on your PC.   ONLY THEN will you be looking at server apps to do the rest of your work, which may or may not utilize PHP.

Does that sound like what you want?  Because any server-based PHP app will NOT manage your desktop scanner.  You may find a PHP app written to run on a PC which might be able (???) to manage a your network-attached scanner.  I don't know if that is possible but even if it is, you still have to get the scanned docs up to your server - along with the individual data belonging to each document.

Does THIS sound closer to your goal?  You are not being very helpful here as Jacques has already said. 

Archived