Warning: mysqli_query() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli

peterthiongo

MySQL queries work fine locally but when uploaded to server. I keep getting the following error from my database connection file. Warning: mysqli_query() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, boolean given in Here is the line the error occurs

list($admin_domain_name) = mysqli_query($db, ("select domain_name from system where site_type = 'backend'"));

I have set $db as follows:

$db=@mysqli_select_db($connect, $database['database']) or die ("Couldn't select database");

This is outdated information -- like many other parts of the FAQ.

As explained above, the modern and much more sane solution is to enable mysqli exceptions. There's absolutely no reason to go through the same manual error checks over and over again when mysqli can do that automatically.

Literally outputting the error message is also ill-advised, even during development.

Yeah, the FAQ page should be updated. I only pointed to the entry because of the following:

mysql* expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given

This means your query failed, for some reason or another....

I hoped that seeing what the error meant would help clarify the suggestions you offered.

OP has already asked and been answered on another forum.

*sigh*

Looks like some people spend more time cross-posting their question into every forum they can find than actually reading the replies and learning from them.

But as long as it costs nothing, let's keep everybody busy, eh?

Archived