Login Issues

EoNSteve

Hello,

I am working on a login script and before I even touch the sessions/cookies, I am getting an error.

Code below:

if (isset($_POST["postlogin"]) && !empty($_POST["postlogin"])) {
require_once('config.php');

mysql_connect("$dbhost", "$dbuser", "$dbpasswd") 
or die(mysql_error());  mysql_select_db("$dbname") 
or die(mysql_error());  

$subuname = $_POST['asuname'];
    $subupass = md5($_POST['asupass']);
echo $subuname;
echo $subupass;

$loginsql = mysql_query("select * from users where u_name='$subuname'") or die(mysql_error());
$loginresult = mysql_fetch_array($loginsql);
echo $loginresult['u_name']."<BR>";

//if (mysql_num_rows($loginresult) > 0 )
if (($loginresult['u_name'] == '$subuname') && ($loginresult['u_pass'] == '$subupass'))
{
echo "it worked";
}
else
{
echo "login failed";
}

Regardless of whether the login information is successful or fails, I get a 'login failed'. Anyone see why? I have a bunch of random echos to show where the values are and they all seem correct.

Side notes:

I am getting that I need to use PDOs. Time to learn something new I guess.

I am planning to use real_escape once I get the rest of the coding complete, right now I just want to get it working.

I have already made teh change to SHA1 from MD5.

I am planning to use real_escape once I get the rest of the coding complete, right now I just want to get it working.

No, you need to use prepared statements, and correct queries are an essential part of getting your code to work.

You cannot keep your errors and at the same time expect the code to function properly. That should be obvious.

I have already made teh change to SHA1 from MD5.

Which doesn't help you one bit. Did you read cyberRobot's response? Neither MD5 nor SHA-1 nor any similar algorithm was ever designed for password hashing. They can be easily attacked with a standard PC at a rate of billions(!) of calculations per second.

It's the year 2017. We use bcrypt now.

Archived