Expert forum

well there is the application design forum. Is that what you are looking for?

Also, we tried having both a "php newbie forum" and a regular "php help" forum before.  the regular one was for more advanced people and the newbie one was, well, for newbies.  But it didn't really work out all that well.  Newbies still posted in the regular forum, and non-newbie questions were still asked in the newbie forum. 

So we decided to try to tackle the most common/newbie problems/questions by having a code/faq forum and *hope* people would go there first, and if they can't find what they need, then ask.  But even then that doesn't work all that well.  Mostly because people don't even bother reading the faqs or attempt to search for their answers.

If you stick around long enough (as in, be active long enough) and continue to help people out (yes, I have noticed you helping people out. I think you even helped me out on a sql query a while back), you may just get yourself voted into the phpfreak recommended group, in which case, you will gain access to the proverbial "inner circle" of people around here - another possible thing which you may be looking for, when you refer to a more "advanced" discussion group.

No not the application design forum because I think it should be for coding help too. And not the inner circle thing because a person with 30 posts may be an expert in the area you're having problems with.

[quote]So we decided to try to tackle the most common/newbie problems/questions by having a code/faq forum and *hope* people would go there first, and if they can't find what they need, then ask.  But even then that doesn't work all that well.[/quote]

A lot of your users wont take the initiative to search the code/faq. If they had the initiative they could look it up in the manual instead of being spoon fed.

And I think you'd see a big difference between having a "newbie forum"/"php help" and "php help"/"expert forum"

I'll agree with the expert @ 30 posts thing, but I have to disagree with this:
[quote author=artacus link=topic=118570.msg484648#msg484648 date=1166084679]
And I think you'd see a big difference between having a "newbie forum"/"php help" and "php help"/"expert forum"
[/quote]
The descriptions of the forums listed "PHP Help" as "For more advanced questions/users" and the "Newbie Forum" clearly stated "for beginners.." and yet it was still a problem.

Yeah, like CV implied, many so called "expert topics" fit in the Application Design board. Despite the name it is not limited to application design in the most strict sense.

[url=http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,107784.0.html]Valid topics[/url]

It's gone a bit quiet in there, but I have seen some topics in PHP Help that could easily fit in there. I'm currently writing 3 tutorials concerning OOP/UML/Design Patterns, hopefully that will inspire some people to post some more "advanced" questions.

The reason why Application Design isn't about code help is because we expect that if you are moving on to more advanced topics, you should be able to fiure out basic syntax. It also prevents much n00bie posting.

[quote]Also, we tried having both a "php newbie forum" and a regular "php help" forum before.  the regular one was for more advanced people and the newbie one was, well, for newbies.  But it didn't really work out all that well.  Newbies still posted in the regular forum, and non-newbie questions were still asked in the newbie forum. [/quote]

That is inevitable, as people don't accurately qualify their questions. Adding a third code help forum would only result in dividing of threads, not categorization. Requiring mods to this qualification for users that don't appear to have done so properly themselves, could lead to hurt egos, generally bad blood. Just imagine how someone who thinks the is an "expert" would react to having his thread moved to N00bie Help.

[b]Edit:[/b] Artacus, if you look at some of the posts in app design board, you'll see that is allowed to give code [b]examples[/b] of something you're trying to accomplish. "No coding help" simply means: No script fixing. I noticed you're a full time professional, so you won't need "script fixing".

Ok, I guess I just didn't get the intent of the App Design forum from its subtitles.

[quote]Just imagine how someone who thinks the is an "expert" would react to having his thread moved to N00bie Help.[/quote]

LOL. I hadn't thought of that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.