Looking up a single row

Menoospace

I'm working on a really simple database that has log entries and for each log entry, an associated category.  The log entry table contains a number that is a foreign key.  Another table "tblCategories" contains the primary key which is numeric.  The row with the corresponding foreign key to primary key match has the actual category name.

tblLogEntries
=================================
UID    [pk]
Date
Description
Category  [fk]

tblCategories
================
UID  [pk]
CategoryName

I've normalized the database.  However, this means I would need to do an SQL query to find the CategoryName entry for a specific Log Entry. 

I have found various examples online of how to perform a query and how to iterate through the dataset.  https://www.w3schools.com/php/php_mysql_select.asp

From the link above, the relevant code is:

if (mysqli_num_rows($result) > 0) {
    // output data of each row
    while($row = mysqli_fetch_assoc($result)) {
        echo "id: " . $row["id"]. " - Name: " . $row["firstname"]. " " . $row["lastname"]. "<br>";
    }
} else {

However, I really only need the results of row #1.  How do I get just one column's contents from the first row returned in the query?

This thread is more than a year old.