free photo galleries

ober

Hey all.. I'm looking for a free photo gallery that doesn't look like complete crap.

The best thing I've been able to find is this:
http://www.sgal.org/

I just want something clean that doesn't integrate with a store or a bulletin board.  It needs to have the ability to create thumbnails and a multi or batch upload is a must.

I've been wanting to create my own for when my kid is born, but I just haven't had time.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I've used http://www.quirm.net/category.php?id=14 (Enhanced Simple PHP Gallery) - its small and neat - with no database.
Its a tad slow for large albums tho.

I've switched to use Gallery. I've managed to cut it down to give something like:http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/main.php

But - it requires a mysql db. Perhaps try the first.

-steve

I guess I should have stated that I want to use a DB for some of it.  Obviously I don't want to store the images that way, but I want a login/backend system and full CMS for it.

*sigh*... I think I'll go with singapore for now and then just port it to my own.

come on ober, I would think you could create your own without too much difficulty.  I'm lazy too though, I never really finished what I was working on for my picture gallery.  I started strong and then just lost my motivation for some reason. Pretty typical with me.  I didn't have a batch upload, but something pretty close.  I would upload all photos to a directory with ftp and then I had a page that I just select a folder and let php resize, copy, and enter all data into the db.  You have to think about execution time and upload size for larger galleries.

That's the thing... I totally want to do it, but I waited too long and the baby is almost here.  To really have a solid app, it needs a LOT of functionality and that means MUCHO time-o.  Time is a precious commodity for me lately ;).

I do want to write one eventually though... because the crap available is a complete waste of time.  I do think this "gallery" thing steve pointed out might just work.  The other one that I found is probably a close second.

Ober - if its functionality you want - gallery has it. Gallery can use the Upload Photos tool in Windows xp. Great for people who just want to publish a load of their photos. It can rotate images, scale, crop, change brightness etc. etc. of images. You can upload a zip of all your photos - it'll unzip em and populate the db etc. etc.

I have found 1 problem with gallery however - doing a "slideshow" (where you can set the seconds of slide transitions etc.) if you have 300 images in 1 gallery - the slideshow takes a bit of time to get loaded.

but as for "crap available is a complete waste of time" - I think you need to look more into it.

-steve

There doesnt seem to be a fully fledged demo showing all its features. This is the only examples/demo page of gallery I found on their website:
http://gallery.menalto.com/forum/g2_demo_sites

Your best bet is to do a quick install. It will be worth it! A few points:
It takes a lot of work to customise the interface.
The extensions for image manupliation are modules that need to be added in at the server side. E.g. g2 module and ImagicMagik etc.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.