enforce an all digit input failing

ajoo

hi,

The following bit of code tries to enforce an all digits, with a maxlength of 6, input from the user.   The first alert shows the digit correctly while the second alert(check) always gives null.  

HTML:			
		<input type="text" class="sw_ui" name="sw_ui" value="0" maxlength="6" />

JS:
		test = $(".test").val();	
		alert(test);
		pattern = /[0-9]{6}/g;
		check = test.match(pattern);
		alert(check);

Can someone please tell me why? What's the mistake here since I should be getting a match. 

Thanks !

HI, 

Thank you all !

@daveyerwin :  While most examples use the "/ .... /g" pattern, it seems not to work.  Even I was misled by this. 😥

@Guru Barand:   Thank you, it works ! 🙏😃

@ requinix: I initially used the /^... $/ but was getting an error & since all examples I saw used the /... /g, I switched. The .test() should be .match(). If I use .test(), i get a " is not a function" error ! .match() works fine. If there is something more esoteric here that I am missing please say.

The final working code block :  

sw_ui = $(".sw_ui").val();	
		alert(sw_ui);
		pattern = /^\d+$/;
		isnum = sw_ui.match(pattern);
		alert(isnum);

Thanks loads !!

3 hours ago, ajoo said:

I initially used the /^... $/ but was getting an error & since all examples I saw used the /... /g, I switched. The .test() should be .match(). If I use .test(), i get a " is not a function" error ! .match() works fine. If there is something more esoteric here that I am missing please say.

Do you know what /.../g does?

Also I didn't point out that .test() is on the RegExp, not the string. Look more carefully at his code.

And .test is the appropriate function to use. Because it tests for a match. Which is exactly what you want to do.

Hi Requinix, 

Thanks for the clarifications. Of-course you are correct. 

Do you know what /.../g does?

No I did not but I found out, it performs a global  search across the test string. 

yes so I reverted my code to exactly as pointed by Guru Barand. That was the correct code. I was getting the error because i was using it on the regex instead of the string. 

Thanks again !

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.