Competition between programmers

makeshift_theory

Do you feel competitive with your fellow programmers?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel competitive with your fellow programmers?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I voted "yes," but I suppose that [i]somewhat[/i] may be a better response. We do indeed challenge each other to come up with the most optimal and efficient code; however, we stay too busy to worry about [i]out-doing[/i] each other in projects. It's more of an "improve my own" code challenge than reviewing the code of others. We just have too many projects to spend the time running into that. On the other hand, when we have projects or modules up for a group effort, we definitely have a little rivalry to see who can come up with the most solid and efficient code.

not so much with web stuff. i dont know why, but when i was properly into Pascal (college) and later C++, I would say yeah - I was quite competitive in that respect. But I'm not so strict as far as web stuff goes, just as long as it's solid, reusable and does the job.
I guess it's probably somewhat different for me in the fact that I actually work for myself from home.

I thought about this topic due to a situation that happened at work.  First me, I'm a 21 year old programmer that is starting college in March of next year and is a "taught himself" programmer.  Next we have another fellow employee, leaving her name out for obvious reasons but she is 29 and has a bachelors in Computer Science.  The objective with the code I'm about to show you is to format a url to a specific directory on the local mount.  I have to say although mine works, hers just is faster and smaller.... (I couldn't find my code, must have deleted it lol...I did make the make path method though...
[b]The Finished Code:[/b]
[code]class pathfinder {

public $url;

public function getFarmPublishPath($url) {
$path = "/pub/web/sites/";

$url = $this->clean($url);

$urlparts = explode(".", $url);

for ($i = count($urlparts)-1; $i > 0; $i--) {
$path .= $urlparts[$i] . "/";
}
$path .= $urlparts[0][0] . "/" . $urlparts[0][1] . "/" . $urlparts[0] . "/htdocs/";
$this->url = $path;
return $path;
}

public function getSitePath($url) {
$path = "*****/*****";
$url = $this->clean($url);

/* !!! update your rules here. not sure what it is but from your code seem like this: */
$urlparts = explode(".", $url);
$path .= $urlparts[0];
$this->url = $path;
return $path;
}

public function clean($url) {
$url = trim(strtolower ($url));

$url = preg_replace("/^(http|https)+(:\/\/)/", "", $url );
$url = preg_replace("/^www\./", "", $url );

return $url;
}

public function make_path()
{ // Creates the path structure for adding files
$this->url = eregi_replace("//","/", $this->url);
$explode = explode("/", $this->url);
$local = getcwd();
chdir('/'); // set directory to root
for($i=0;$i<=count($explode);$i++)
{
if($i!=0)
chdir($explode[$i]); // change to current directory

if(!is_dir($explode[$i + 1])) // if directory does not exists, create it then chmod it
if(!mkdir($explode[$i + 1]))
chmod($explode[$i + 1], "0755");
}
chdir($local);

if(!empty($error))
return false;
else
return true;
}
}[/code]

PS> This is a step to the next topic I am going to post but I will wait to post it.  "Is school necessary to hold a good programming job?"

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=119524.msg489710#msg489710 date=1166720808]
I'll be looking forward to your next topic, because I'm in the same boat as you as for being self-taught ;)
[/quote]

Awesome, btw can I steal your bottom links, those seem to be very useful =).

PS> Can you tell by my avatar I'm not a graphic designer =).

[quote author=makeshift_theory link=topic=119524.msg489715#msg489715 date=1166721094]
Awesome, btw can I steal your bottom links, those seem to be very useful =).
[/quote]
Sure thing! That's what they're there for ;)

[quote author=makeshift_theory link=topic=119524.msg489715#msg489715 date=1166721094]
PS> Can you tell by my avatar I'm not a graphic designer =).
[/quote]
Haha! I'm not either, but I've picked up a few little tricks along the way. Photoshop will make a graphic designer out of me yet :P

[quote author=makeshift_theory link=topic=119524.msg489750#msg489750 date=1166724439]
Well I might have to ask you to make me a new avatar obsidian  ;D
[/quote]

lol... Be glad to, although I'm sure there are many others better suited to it... have an image or character in mind?

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=119524.msg489827#msg489827 date=1166730399]
you should start a siggy/avatar request thread, obsidian! Then you can be like all the kiddies on the game boards!
[/quote]

LMAO... Aw, C_V, you caught me... my one goal in life :P

[quote author=makeshift_theory link=topic=119524.msg489842#msg489842 date=1166731937]
Your just like me you have no life you sit at home making sigs and clicking the "Show new replies to your posts." link HAHA  ;D
[/quote]

Difference: I get paid to sit at work and do it instead ;)

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=119524.msg489843#msg489843 date=1166732141]
[quote author=makeshift_theory link=topic=119524.msg489842#msg489842 date=1166731937]
Your just like me you have no life you sit at home making sigs and clicking the "Show new replies to your posts." link HAHA  ;D
[/quote]

Difference: I get paid to sit at work and do it instead ;)
[/quote]

.......amen

[quote author=extrovertive link=topic=119524.msg491252#msg491252 date=1167025974]
Fighting each other over programming..how geeky!
[/quote]

Hm. I take it you've never been in a situation where you would like to do something better than the other guy? Evidently these programmers like to see who's the best in their area. I see nothing geeky in trying to do the best work you can.

And you do realize that you're on a forum that focuses specifically on software-related topics? Methinks you'd be better off insulting programmers somewhere else.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.