I just have a question about a database table.

Strider64
Go to solution Solved by Barand,

I have updated a online trivia game and used an old database table that has existing questions.  I was wondering if the new questions would overwrite existing questions because questions have been deleted in the past with this database table?

Thanks in Advance,

John

Edited by Strider64

What I mean is the id field (Auto Increment) start at 1 and I have existing records that have an id of 130 lets say. I wrote new questions/answers and it started back at 1. So if I add more questions that get up to say 130 will the exist questioning be OVER WRITTEN 🙄If I get another rude reply I am going to delete this account and use other forums. You would think a person who didn't understand what I was writing would say could you clarify it and to top it all it's an administrator that made the reply.

Edited by Strider64

22 hours ago, Strider64 said:

. You would think a person who didn't understand what I was writing would say could you clarify it and to top it all it's an administrator that made the reply.

I believe it was meant as a colorful reply.  Requinix is saying that things will "explode". 

What I believe will happen is that auto_increment will not work the way you expect.  

Rather than start at 1, the first allocated auto_increment value will be the largest id that exists, plus 1.  So the first new inserted value in the table will have id 31. 

There won't be an error, so I guess the main question is whether or not you actually care about the loss of available key values.

BTW, a similar issue exists with tables you might truncate or delete all values from.  That does not by itself reset the auto_increment value.  You can however, use a mysql/mariadb specific sql statement on the table to reset the auto_increment counter back to 1

ALTER TABLE tablename AUTO_INCREMENT = 1

This however would not work with Innodb tables (which is what you should always be using with mysql) as the auto_increment counter can never be set below the highest available one that exists.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.