Dynamically naming a variable

stevepatd
Go to solution Solved by stevepatd,

I have a database table with 52 values (one for every week of the year).  The column names are Week1, Week2, etc. When processing this I would like to use a 'for' loop from 1 to 52 and create something like this:

for ($n=1; $n<=52; $n++) {
    $variable = '$Week' . $n;
    if ($variable == something) {
      do the thing;
      }
    }// for

then if the value in that weeks cell matches the expected value I do my thing.  How can I dynamically create my "variable" that is the name of the variable so I can test the value of it?  I don't want to write a little snipet of code 52 times to see if $Week1 == something, $Week2 == something......

• Solution

Sorry to have bothered you all.  I figured it out.  Instead of using a variable for each column of the database I can use the $row array after the mysqli_fetch_array.  That makes it really sweet.

I really appreciate this site and all the effort you experts put into answering our questions.

2 hours ago, stevepatd said:

Instead of using a variable for each column of the database I can use the $row array after the mysqli_fetch_array.  That makes it really sweet.

That is also very, very much the more appropriate solution than creating dynamically-named variables. So that's great 👍

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.