System Backups...

AV1611

OK, I have spent the last several months converting from windows to linux based servers. 

I have my FEDORA CORE 6 system the way I like it

I have LAMP, DNS, SQUID, DANSGUARDIAN, MULTIMEDIA, and everything else the way I want it.

Now, I need to backup the system in a way that I not only don't loose data, but can restore my system to this point.

I have a new Maxtor 60GB External Drive that my kids bought me for Christmas.  I have fdisked and formatted it ext3 and is mounted.

HOW DO I BACKUP???

Suggestions?
Thanks

Man.. there is MANY different ways of doing this. With a spare drive your best bet is to probably look at something like [url=http://www.rsnapshot.org/rsnapshot]rsnapshot[/url] though if your anything like me you'll want to write your own.

I wrote my own bash script (in the process of rebuilding it in python) based on [url=http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/#Abstract]this[/url] concept which backs up all my desktops and a couple of servers. rsnapshot is based on the same ideas.

PS; are you the same dude from phpbuilder? Hows the linux thing working out for ya?

Man I am sooo in love with Linux... I hated it for a long time b/c I have been a windows admin for many years.  I think linux has "geeked" down enough that you can get traction on learning it now without being a jolt-cola drinking, chain-smoking mega-kung-foo-geek.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is the philosophy of backups under linux.  In windows, data-backups don't let you bring the system up... you still have to reinstall every application before you can do anything with the backups...

In linux, do you not have that problem?  there is no "registry" so is simply restoring an application to it's original path all that has to happen?

Thanks.

[quote author=AV1611 link=topic=120002.msg492188#msg492188 date=1167243010]In linux, do you not have that problem?  there is no "registry" so is simply restoring an application to it's original path all that has to happen?[/quote]

That is correct. rsync is an excellent tool to accomplish this - and /usr, /lib and /etc (the most common directories for binaries, libraries, and config files) are usually very small. It would take a simple command execution once a week to keep your backup up-to-date, and another simple command to restore a backup.

One little note: You rarely need backups, with Linux.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.