sizes

runnerjp

hey guys
after recently getting a nifty widescreen monitor for christmas it has occured to me that webpages are now displayed different.. mainly mine!!
i didnt intake the idea that every 1ns moniors are different and now on my websiote i find the text is aligned wrong and my back ground repeats itself to fill the space... when comeing to this site to my suprise it looks the same and fits the page well

[size=20pt][color=red][b]how is this done??[/b][/color][/size]

i use absolute postitioning on my website.... should i just be useing left right and center alignment ??

or is their more code i could use??

cheers guys

Typically, absolute positioning for the whole of a webpage is a no-no. Using absolute positioning for individual elements on a page (especially in [i]relationship[/i] to other elements) is definitely useful, but you want to try and stay away from just absolutely positioning your page. Your best bet (and this is easiest with a fixed width page) is to do something like this:

[b]HTML[/b]
[code]
<body>
<div id="wrapper">
<!-- all your page content goes here -->
</div>
</body>
[/code]

[b]CSS[/b]
[code]
body {
  text-align: center;
}

#wrapper {
  width: 720px;
  margin: 0 auto;
  text-align: left;
}
[/code]

Simple as that!

This has nothing to do with PHP...

If your site isn't loading correctly for a large resolution, then there is something wrong with your CSS and/or HTML. Most developers are lazy and just write their site for one fixed resolution width.

Can you post a link to your site?

Every time you use "background-image:" you should use "background-repeat: no-repeat;" under it.

CSS objects that are touch the right hand side of the page, you should be setting a right margin for.

You have multiple body and html tags.

Even though I said that fixed widths are for lazy developers, you should probably use a fixed width with this design. Your images depend on a fixed width.

[quote author=Hypnos link=topic=120065.msg492264#msg492264 date=1167252305]
Every time you use "background-image:" you should use "background-repeat: no-repeat;" under it.
[/quote]
Not true at all. In fact, controlling repeating backgrounds is one of the best ways to achieve some very interesting and useful effects. No-repeat should only be used in cases such as you have in your header, but making a claim that background-images should [i]always[/i] have no-repeat on them is just oversimplifying things too much.

CSS objects that are touch the right hand side of the page, you should be setting a right margin for.
[/quote]
Is right [i]margin[/i] really what you meant, or are you recommending positioning from the right? I think the latter is good advice if you insist on absolutely positioned layouts.

Even though I said that fixed widths are for lazy developers, you should probably use a fixed width with this design. Your images depend on a fixed width.
[/quote]
The comment about fixed widths being for lazy developers is one of the worst blanket comments I've seen in a while. There are some very professional designers that would be offended with a comment like that. In fact, there are fixed width designs that are [b]much[/b] more attractive than their counterparts with fluid designs. It really all depends on the content itself to determine what you want a viewer to see. As for lazy versus non-lazy developers: either type of design [b]should[/b] take about the same amount of time and effort to get them looking right. Some people tend to have a disparaging view of fixed widths simply because they are overused in some cases. Knowing how an when to use them, however, by no means makes a designer or developer lazy.

[quote author=ToonMariner link=topic=120065.msg492398#msg492398 date=1167273163]
Some CUSTOMERS demand fixed width sites!!!!

90% of our clients at work still (initially I might add) demand that a site looks exactly the same in IE5 on win98 and Safari on Mac OSX. We often sit an laugh for about 20 mins when that happens.... ;)
[/quote]

Yes, I had a client that decided to leave out the little detail that it had to work in IE5 for Mac. That didn't go over too well when I realized that about 25% of their client base were older users still using this outdated browser (needless to say, it was a very targeted market). Try making a detail oriented CSS design work in that browser :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.