photoshop going haywire

Ninjakreborn

This is the first time I ever encountered these problems.
When I code a layout, I have dreamweaver open, and photoshop, plus firefox, and sometimes ie.
My computer is pretty powerful, but for some reason photoshop has been messing up lately.
Just today actually, it locked up 2 time's yesterday, adn today it won't even let me open the color pallete.  Trying to get a color sample. When I click on it, it just sits there thinking the whole time.
Anything I can do to lower the amount of resources photoshop is taking, without loosing any of the critical functionality.

if it's only doing it lately, then lowering the resources it needs to run is not the solution - rather, something else is the problem.

first off (and this problem has happened to me twice in the past) open up the Control Panel/System and check the available memory. I have had memory fail on me in the past which has grinded things to a near standstill.

Secondly, try a thorough cleanup of your system and check your antivirus.

Third - have you installed many plugins for Photoshop?

There's no real way of giving you a proper answer really as it could be one of millions of things....

422mb are being used out of 800 and something.

510 mb ram
those are my specs, as for plugins no, never got any plugins for photoshop at all.  When I first got it, it did a huge update of versions, and one more time not too long after that.  Another hting is font's, I only installed a total of about 12 new fonts into windows, so that can't be it.

Is there anything else I can do, I know I can do some stuff but this is work hours, I wouldn't have time right now.
I could defrag it, and clean up free memory, and clear the cookies, and settings.  And some other stuff to free up some memory, but could ther ebe other solutison that you know of, what happened your other 2 time's, what did you do to get it fixed, or temporarily fixed so you could work.  I can't even finish this layout like this.  Does that mean it's time to go to fireworks (I heard it's lighter), or is there another solution.

Photoshop is by far superior for image manipulation and/or design to Fireworks. Both have excellent resources for them, and they are both great in their own regard, but for what [b]most[/b] people are after in web design, you'll be much more satisfied with PS, whether it's for your vector image generation or image manipulation.

One possible solution that I ran into with PS at work was my swap space. If you check out the file size of the temp files that PS creates, they are insanely large. For a 30MB PSD file I was working on, the temp file created was [b]1.9GB[/b]!!! With this in mind, double check your swap space and that you have your temp directories nice and clean. Otherwise, if you're still running into problems, take note of your plugins and reinstall.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=121786.msg501494#msg501494 date=1168454233]
How do I check my temp space
I never even knew about that, do you know where I can see that at, and look/or delete it, that might be what's cuasing it, a reinstall is another option if that, and/or defragmentation doesn't help.
[/quote]

You can't delete your temp file while PS is running. It creates it at runtime. When PS closes, the temp file is only around 200MB, which really is nothing, but for larger files, it will be anywhere from 1-3GB, so you need to be sure your system can handle it.

ok, tonight after I finish working I will virus scan it, then defrag, and then try again.  IF that doesn't work I will look up how to clear photoshop's temp file's, if that doesn't work, I will perform a clean install, I don't have any extensions for it.  (Obviously now that I know about photoshop extensions, later I am going to go out hunting some down.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.