Creating table based on user input

sincspecv

I need to set up a table in MySQL based on the users input in a form. i have the input assigned to a variable ($userdir) but when i run the script it just creates a table called '$userdir' instead of what the user typed in.

heres the code im using:
[code]
$userdir = $_POST['userdir'];
$connection = @mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', 'aboy15') or die(mysql_error());
$sql = 'CREATE TABLE $userdir ('
        . ' `date` DATE NOT NULL, '
        . ' `update` TEXT NOT NULL'
        . ' )'
        . ' ENGINE = myisam;';
$result = @mysql_query($sql, $connection) or die(mysql_error());
[/code]

what am i doing wrong?

well, i have a forum about automotive performance. currently i am trying to create something so users can put up information about thier current project car. it's along the lines of cardomain (www.cardomain.com) but i want it to be more like a log. i want it set up so that each time the user updates their project it creates a new row, and in each row is the date and the update. i couldn't think of any better way to do this than to have a new table for each user. i thought about it for days and it was the best i could come up with. if you have a better idea i would be happy to hear it. this is my first big project with php. every other project, i've done was rather simple and usually had some sort of guideline.

thanks,
matt

when i use double quotes i get this error:

[quote]You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '"$userdir" ( `date` DATE NOT NULL, `update` TEXT NOT NULL ) ENGINE = myisam' at line 1[/quote]

Trust me, you do NOT want a new table for each user. You want 2 tables, one stores usernames and ids, the other stores project ids and that same user id. eg;

[code]
CREATE TABLE users (
  id INT PRIMARY KEY AUTO INCRIMENT,
  username
);

CREATE TABLE projects (
  users_id INT,
  date_added TIMESTAMP,
  data TEXT
);
[/code]

Then, anytime user 4 makes an update you would run a query like...

[code]
INSERT INTO projects (user_id,date_added,data) VALUES (4,NOW(),'here is my car');
[/code]

When he comes back in a few days to make an update, run another....

[code]
INSERT INTO projects (user_id,date_added,data) VALUES (4,NOW(),'ive painted the doors');
[/code]

Now, if you want to retrieve all of user 4's data, you'd simply run....

[code]
SELECT data FROM project WHERE user_id = 4;
[/code]

Now you have two tables that can hold an unlimitted number of users and updates.

well i got this to work:
[code]$sql = "CREATE TABLE $userdir (date DATE NOT NULL, update TEXT NOT NULL) ENGINE = myisam";[/code]
but i think im gonna go with this:
[quote author=thorpe link=topic=121870.msg501991#msg501991 date=1168489919]
Trust me, you do NOT want a new table for each user. You want 2 tables, one stores usernames and ids, the other stores project ids and that same user id. eg;

[code]
CREATE TABLE users (
  username
);

CREATE TABLE projects (
  users_id INT,
  date_added TIMESTAMP,
  data TEXT
);
[/code]

Then, anytime user 4 makes an update you would run a query like...

[code]
INSERT INTO projects (user_id,date_added,data) VALUES (4,NOW(),'here is my car');
[/code]

When he comes back in a few days to make an update, run another....

[code]
INSERT INTO projects (user_id,date_added,data) VALUES (4,NOW(),'ive painted the doors');
[/code]

Now, if you want to retrieve all of user 4's data, you'd simply run....

[code]
SELECT data FROM project WHERE user_id = 4;
[/code]

Now you have two tables that can hold an unlimitted number of users and updates.
[/quote]

thanks a lot man. i just feel stupid.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.