Personal Information Manager

Ninjakreborn

I am suffering now from information overload (some term I saw on google), I have been pouring through source forge, and some other stuff.

All I want is
* A place to manage, and keep contacts
* A place to keep a little organized
I was using activecollab but find myself not using it anymore, I don't need something to keep "projects" organized necessarily, but I have a huge inbox, full of a bunch of emails, at a weak attempt at splitting them into folders to keep them organized, I need a better organizational system or structure, to help me stabilize the information and remain more organized, as a whole.

Any advice on a good program, or what do you use to get organized?

so you need a phone book, address book, calendar, a place to keep notes, a to-do list, etc?  Don't you know PHP?  Don't you know how to render the use of a MySQL database?  I think this is a perfect project for you to embark on.  You could learn quite a bit.  I hear PHP has some excellent calendar features, and you could experiment a bit with AJAX. Take a look at googles calendar and you will see what i mean about ajax.

???  Very, very funny.
But it was a well made point, I have been thinking about it.  I am giving
http://www.essentialpim.com/?r=products&pr=screenshots a try, if I don't like it, (the free version), then I am going to build one.  If I like it, and end up wanting to use it, I will buy it, either way problem solved,  If I don't go with this, I will start building my own, problem solved.

Thanks for the double team.
:P

Well, when I installed, it (about the 10th one I installed on my computer, and about 8 I tried on my server.  This one is JUST what I needed.  I (based on the advice of other's), don't always try to build EVERYTHING myself anymore (it's good that is always an option though).  I am buying the professional edition now, it had everything I need, even the calendar (Now I can stop using google calendar.
I can also stop (temproarily) using active collab.
I was using hte calendar for time/date planning, activecollab for personal planning, hotmail for contact planning, now I can consolidate it all into one place, and have it ready to go whenever I need it.

Too late, I just have did it, about 5 minutes ago. I decided it's best not to hang on a decision like that (as in the other post, my obsessive decision making difficulties), I made a decision.
I said if I like it I will get it, if I don't I will build my own, I liked it so I got it.  Problem solved, I also went ahead and decided to learn OOP, and study those 2 frameworks.  I have been doing that today around my projects.  Thanks for all the feedback.  I will look into those 2 you mentioned as well.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=122155.msg503432#msg503432 date=1168632640]
???  Very, very funny.
[/quote]
dude, it wasnt a joke, nor was it a stab. you want to learn codeigniter? OOP? MVC? and you want a PIM too, that's very specific to your needs? for free?

then what's stopping you? at its most basic, this is possibly a full day or two's work, plus maybe a day or two to get to grips with the new framework, etc. so practically, by mid next week, not only will you have written your first full application in a new framework, and hence learned enough to get a job done, but you'll also have a PIM that works exactly how you want it.

if you've got the time to learn so much, and ask tonnes of questions, etc, then you'll have the time to do it - and you may actually find you learn MORE.

I'd agree normally with Neal on this one, but taking your other questions into account, doing your own could be a very good way to go.

just a thought...

I wasn't joking.  I was dead serious.  A lot of people spout, "Why re-invent the wheel?", but you learn so much more if you do it yourself.  Kind of like asking a dumb question and people try to help you figure out the answer, instead of giving you the answer.  I could just say, "Give me the damn answer. No need in going through all the labor of figuring out the answer if someone else has already done it."  You learn more from figuring out the answer yourself, even if you have to be guided there. Same goes from programming.  If you want something, and want to learn in the process, then do it yourself.

[quote]dude, it wasnt a joke, nor was it a stab. you want to learn codeigniter? OOP? MVC? and you want a PIM too, that's very specific to your needs? for free?[/quote]
Must have been a misunderstanding, I know it was a joke, I was messing around back.  it must have come out wrong, I meant it in a joking manner, sorry if it came out the wrong way, nothing serious intended.
About learning, yes, I am starting to make decisions, thanks to the advice.  I wanted to make one about the pim for awhile (build my own, or just get one since it's not specific a project), so I made a decision and got that one.

As far as what I said, it must have came out in a way I didn't expected, I was messing around with that, in a joking sort of manner.

[quote]then what's stopping you? at its most basic, this is possibly a full day or two's work, plus maybe a day or two to get to grips with the new framework, etc. so practically, by mid next week, not only will you have written your first full application in a new framework, and hence learned enough to get a job done, but you'll also have a PIM that works exactly how you want it.

if you've got the time to learn so much, and ask tonnes of questions, etc, then you'll have the time to do it - and you may actually find you learn MORE.

I'd agree normally with Neal on this one, but taking your other questions into account, doing your own could be a very good way to go.
[/quote]

Very good point, I am going to use this program I bought for a few weeks, (just 30 bucks), if it's another failed solution (something else not matching 100% what I want), I will sit down in my spare time and start building one, good idea.  I have other plans for Cake PHp, and Code Ignitor, I have 2 fairly large personal projects planned, 1 for each of them, heavy learning time periods, that will give me crash courses in OOP, and MVC, then I am going to start building my own, on the side, while using code ignitor (or cake whichever I end up liking best).

That will all be over hte span of a few months (6) because I have to keep my paying project first and foremost (number 1)

Thanks for all the feedback, and direction, very helpful.  Again sorry if that up there came out wrong, must have said it the wrong way.

Thanks again.
just a thought..

[quote]I wasn't joking.  I was dead serious.  A lot of people spout, "Why re-invent the wheel?", but you learn so much more if you do it yourself.  Kind of like asking a dumb question and people try to help you figure out the answer, instead of giving you the answer.  I could just say, "Give me the damn answer. No need in going through all the labor of figuring out the answer if someone else has already done it."  You learn more from figuring out the answer yourself, even if you have to be guided there. Same goes from programming.  If you want something, and want to learn in the process, then do it yourself.[/quote]

Point taken, and most of the time it's my initial choice, build things myself.  However for the PIM, I am wanting something more standard, more built (by a team), something I will get permanent use out of, if this doesn't work, building it myself is the viable, and obvious solution.

I don't know, so many bad things I have heard about microsoft.  I never use anything microsoft except standard software on my computer, and sometimes microsoft word, and generally I use edit page for regular text capabilities, unless i need advanced spellchecking, even then I throw it into hotmail and let it check it for me.  Rarely do I use anything microsoft, I really only use hotmail, msn, and windows, which are all microsoft products (and I favor the x-box system over other's, however it's not the only one Iplay just my favorite)

Actually I just landed 2 deals, 1 project for 1k and a brand new x-box 360 unopened in the box, with the harddrive.
And another project for just a playstation 3.

That is off topic, but something I have been anxiously waiting for.

"GEARS OF WAR", plus many other's.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.