Ubuntu Studio - "a multimedia creation derivative of Ubuntu"

neylitalo

Yeah, I'll be pretty interested in this too. I used to produce quite a bit of experimental electronica (aphex style) when I was a windows user. Havent really had the time or the inclination to try and get ardour and the likes working in Gentoo. This might be cool.

Surely theres a cvs somewhere?

whoa...i've said before around these parts that the main reason i stick with PC/Mac these days is because of the multitrack music production software I use (Cubase/Logic) with no decent alternatives for Linux. Considering Ubuntu was something I tried and liked, if they DO get around to getting the music sequencer up and rocking (looks like not in the first release, unless i read it wrong) and considering the nature of open source (constant updates, features that people ACTUALLY want, etc) then I'm already looking for the dotted line to sign on...

Cheers for the link Neal...bookmarked!

Mark

[quote author=redbullmarky link=topic=123403.msg510016#msg510016 date=1169417372]
if they DO get around to getting the music sequencer up and rocking
[/quote]

The software exists, they just have to figure out which is the best and how to get it integrated. museseq, rosegarden, and seq24 are all very popular MIDI/audio sequencers.

yeah definitely looks interesting. will take a closer look through the day. it does mention Jokosher too, which looks like a really simple sequencer but the one you mentioned definitely looks like it's trying to market itself in the same sort of category as cubase/logic. I need to specifically look at VST or AU plugins, as i'm using entire drumkit and guitar modelling plugins which i'd need to use.
If my audio interface is supported, and so are either VST or AU, then that's good enough for me.

Out of interest for those who do use these types of packages - how good are they in terms of system requirements? I'm aware (or have been told) that Linux desktops are much lighter on resources than Windows, etc so just wondering how a PC running Ubuntu and a powerful sequencer fair up against a PC of the same specs running Windows and Cubase.

I think there have been tracks made to get VST to work within Linux, but you'll never get windows plugins or VST instruments support in Linux. To be honest, Ive never really installed any of this stuff on Linux. Ive looked at it, but without the time, haven't bothered.

Im sure, as most things Linux, they should run pretty darn well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.