Display the details

Vinsanity

If I understand you correctly, you want a few words of the paragraph and then a [Read More] type link.

I may be off base here, but I have done this by pulling the paragraph out of the db and then using an explode function to break each sentence into an array and then display the first sentence.

There may be an easier way to do it, but this works pretty good. You can explode on a period to get sentences, or on ' ' whitespace to break it down into each word, then simply echo the number of words you want from the array.

here is some basic code using the substr like jesirose said. BASIC code. look at it. dont copy paste it. write it out yourself. think about it. :) sorry jesirose i am giving the OP some code!

[code=php:0]
$full_news = "Hello! This is some news (it dosnt have to be news) that will be cut down then a link to read me would be displayed. This is so cool.";
if(strlen($full_news) > 25){ //25 is the amount of characters to show.
$short_news = substr($full_news, 0, 25)."... <a href='link/to/full/news.php'>[read more]</a>";
}

echo $short_news;
[/code]

just a small example.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.